Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 61 of 80
Flag for a moderator

Re: Mac Filtering Hub 3

Although it's extremely annoying to have to input all the mac filtering rules time after time after time, whenever the superhub3 is power cycled, it now seems to lose my filter settings when the power has not been removed. This week I have put the filters in about five times and every time they have disappeared!! This is beginning to want me to throw the thing out of the window.

Have they'd done a firmware upgrade and things have got worse, not better ???

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 62 of 80
Flag for a moderator

Got a similar issue with mine, where MAC filtering with specifc times of the day during the week is not working, although it was working until the major outage on 28/04/2020. This could be co-incidental though. Now it simply blocks the MAC adress when implementing the rule. Since moving over from the Hub 2 in 2018, this has been very temperemental.

Like yourself, I want to throw this piece of junk out of the window. A lot of people have simply bought a better wireless router and put the hub 3.0 into modem mode which is looking like the root I'll be going down!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 63 of 80
Flag for a moderator

Imagine my delight when I discovered the timed MAC Filter function in Hub 3 as my teenage son has difficulty “switching off” during these Clovid times, and it’s seriously impacting his A-Level studies.

Now I work out the times are UTC, and as the clocks are BST/UTC+1, he’s been getting an extra hour for free!

Now I read he can just reset the modem to remove the filter entirely!

Does anyone know if Hub 4 is any improvement?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 64 of 80
Flag for a moderator

@krustydad wrote:

Imagine my delight when I discovered the timed MAC Filter function in Hub 3 as my teenage son has difficulty “switching off” during these Clovid times, and it’s seriously impacting his A-Level studies.

Now I work out the times are UTC, and as the clocks are BST/UTC+1, he’s been getting an extra hour for free!

Now I read he can just reset the modem to remove the filter entirely!

Does anyone know if Hub 4 is any improvement?

I would expect the the Hub 4 to also have a factory reset option that removes any MAC filters, if it has a filter option.  All routers have a factory reset option as a failsafe incase you change the default password and then forget what you changed it to.

There are many better third party solutions out there for parental controls but all can usually be circumvented by a determined individual.  Looking at the Circle web site they seem to store settings in the cloud so they can survive a factory reset and you get a notification that your little cherub has tried a factory reset:

https://meetcircle.com/stories/2020/01/10/how-kids-get-around-parental-controls

However all these third party solutions still access the VM network through your hub and so would not prevent someone from resetting your VM hub and connecting to it direct with the default passwords if they have physical access to it.

There is only so much parenting that you can outsource to technology, sometimes you just have to take away their toys if they won't behave.

My setup: V6 TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 65 of 80
Flag for a moderator

I use the filters too. I thought that power cycling the SH3 actually defaulted to block access for everything. I’m sure mine does that. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 66 of 80
Flag for a moderator

Hi! I have been struggling to set up MAC Address Filtering on our VM Hub 3.0...everytime I would (time)restrict access for the devices my 2 boys were using...after I click APPLY CHANGES all the effort I've done wouldn't work...they can still access the internet AND on one or couple of occassions even my mobile phone AND the mobile phone of my wife will lose wifi connection.  Until I found out in this thread that VM Hub 3.0 is not capable of Mac Filtering.  So I called Virgin 2 days ago...told the guy on the phone my problem with Mac Filtering via VM Hub 3.0...and he admitted it's not capable and offered me the Hub 2.0.  I asked if it will be a step-down and whether it will affect the speed of internet connection...I was told NO...just that it(Hub 2.0) will be capable of Mac Filtering.  Today it arrived...only it's the same Hub 3.0.  What a waste!  I called Virgin and the guy I talked to said Virgin doesn't issue Hub 2.0 anymore.

Questions:

1. What router do u recommend I buy that would be capable of decent Mac filtering?  I only wanted to restrict wifi access by my 2 kids on their mobile/Nintendo Switch at specific times of the day.

2. I read about turning my VM Hub 3.0 into a modem instead then attaching it to the 3rd party Router I will be buying...do u know of any tutorial(video or website) to help me do this once I've bought a router?

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 67 of 80
Flag for a moderator

Well that's wierd. I have a SH3 (white one) and Mac filtering works fine. It's just a pain I can't do seperate times per Mac address/device. I've heard it's coming, but not yet 😞

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 68 of 80
Flag for a moderator

Almost all in this thread were saying Mac Filtering doesn't work on their Hub 3.0..and yours works fine. Hmmm... Even the technician from Virgin admitted to me Mac Filtering is not working properly with Hub 3.0. Im confused now.

MAC filtering different devices at separate times per Mac address/device..Im not yet there. For simplicity...I only want to restrict wifi access for BOTH the devices of my 2 kids AT THE SAME TIME...but even that was NOT POSSIBLE.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 69 of 80
Flag for a moderator

Fair enough. My kids can vouch for me, they get annoyed every night when it all goes off, except my devices.

Go buy yourself a router then.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 70 of 80
Flag for a moderator

This problem has been going on for years with virgin. I ended up buying a Netgear Nighthawk router. To use any new router with Virgin, you switch the Virgin router to Modem only mode, then plug your new router in to it and connect your devices to your new router.

I purchased Disney's Circle parental control, which is great but costs £40+ per year. There's lots of different restrictions and rewards you can do on it