Menu
jaybee2786
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

virgin engineer say my equimpent its up to the task ref lan network speed

virgin  engineer  game  out to check  my  speed as i am  on 200mb but  speed  test  using virgin speed  test  i was getting 88mb, The engineer informed me not to used  the virgin recommended speed test . he  goes away  sends in  his report  stating  that my pc tower  wasnt up  or capable  to do do 90mb, i informed him/ and the female that  called me  that  my  network lan card was  an intel pro /1000gt desktop adapter. Now i  built the system and i  know there is no bottle necks from the HUB 3 ROUTER and to my  pc as it  is hard wired!!!!!!!! but the females  informed me that  virgin engineer states other wise !!!!!!!! strange as he  never looked at my pc  he  just assumed it  wasnt up to scratch without  even bothering to check

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: virgin engineer say my equimpent its up to the task ref lan network speed

@jaybee2786 wrote:

virgin  engineer  game  out to check  my  speed as i am  on 200mb but  speed  test  using virgin speed  test  i was getting 88mb, The engineer informed me not to used  the virgin recommended speed test . he  goes away  sends in  his report  stating  that my pc tower  wasnt up  or capable  to do do 90mb, i informed him/ and the female that  called me  that  my  network lan card was  an intel pro /1000gt desktop adapter. Now i  built the system and i  know there is no bottle necks from the HUB 3 ROUTER and to my  pc as it  is hard wired!!!!!!!! but the females  informed me that  virgin engineer states other wise !!!!!!!! strange as he  never looked at my pc  he  just assumed it  wasnt up to scratch without  even bothering to check

what speed is the link between your pc and the hub negotiating at? the card might be a gig card, but it's possible that it's only negotiating a 100mb connection...

0 Kudos
jaybee2786
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

As i said - the fact that it's a gig card doesn't necessarily mean that it is able to negotiate a 1gb connection - you can see what it has negotiated in the connection properties / status page within windows, or on the "connected devices" page of your hub's management interface.

0 Kudos
Irishdexy
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

The Network Card is rated for 1GB Transmissions Speeds but your LAN cabling may not be able to cope with the speed. If you use the standard cabling that Virgin Provide it will only go at 100Mbps. You need to get your hands on a Cat6 Lead (if you don't have one, check the wiring as it says what kind it is) and then plug that in from the router to the PC.

If you use a Powerline Adapter that uses Electrical Wiring please be aware the speed is not guaranteed. I'm on M500 but with the Powerline adapter and a CAT7 Lead, I get 170mbps on Speed Tests.

Try Sam knows Speedtest and Fast.com - multiple sites are better for gauging what your speed actually is.

0 Kudos