cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sub 1mbps up/down high latency and packet loss - wired TW2

jackjt8
On our wavelength

Internet speed, latency, and packet loss has degraded rapidly over the past two days in the TW2 area. Using the SuperHub 3 in modern mode connected to a TP-Link Archer A7 AC1750 has worked fine for 3 months.

200 | 20 mbps package - Typical 221 | 21 mbps - Currently getting 2.5 | 0.7 mpbs, often down as low as 0.5 | 0.2 mbps per thinkbroadband, speedtest (ookla), uswitch, etc. (Wired, gigabit)

Ping statistics for 8.8.8.8:
Packets: Sent = 6571, Received = 5789, Lost = 782 (11% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 9ms, Maximum = 117ms, Average = 15ms

Average ping is typical, maximum is around double, and the packet loss percentage is unacceptable. (Wired, gigabit)

Performed multiple reboots of both the SuperHub 3 and Archer A7 and disconnected all other devices from the network to perform testing.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi there @jackjt8

Thank you so much for your post and I am so sorry to see you are facing these issues with your Hub! 

I have been able to locate your account with your forum details and can see that there are a few issues showing on your Hub! For this reason I think it would be best to get an engineer out so they can take a look directly for you. 

I will send you a PM now to arrange this, please keep and an eye out for the purple envelope in the top right corner of your screen alerting you to a new message. 

Thank you. 

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

11 REPLIES 11

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

Likely a bad line or noise on the segment.

With any luck VM team will look into this and not ask you to put hub in router mode for tests they can do in modem mode.

You can setup a BQM
https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

---------------------------------------------------------------

jackjt8
On our wavelength

Already have a BQM but this site doesn't seem to like me posting everything in one go. Was trying to also post the router stats but.. yeah not a great forum.

BQM 

Hi there @jackjt8

Thank you so much for your post and I am so sorry to see you are facing these issues with your Hub! 

I have been able to locate your account with your forum details and can see that there are a few issues showing on your Hub! For this reason I think it would be best to get an engineer out so they can take a look directly for you. 

I will send you a PM now to arrange this, please keep and an eye out for the purple envelope in the top right corner of your screen alerting you to a new message. 

Thank you. 

What issues have you identified with the Hub? It is setup correctly in modern mode as it's WiFi is poor (expected) and an external Archer A7 is used to handle WiFi. We have not faced any issues till recently.

Re-asking here as it may be useful for other users to know about said solutions

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@jackjt8 wrote:

What issues have you identified with the Hub?

Likely docsis low SNR or power levels and maybe some T3 timeouts 

jackjt8
On our wavelength

The booked engineer arrived on time; bit of miscommunication where the engineer was told it was for a WiFi issue. After relaying the SNR issue to the engineer it went smoothly.

Issue identified as being SNR caused by the network from the pit outside tested straight from the tap bank. Effecting multiple customers (around 6) connected to the same pit. Network team has been called out so hoping within 48 hours we will have this resolved.

jackjt8
On our wavelength

jackjt8_0-1629482665382.png

jackjt8_1-1629482694687.png

Update - Network team was out around 11:30 and managed to resolve the network issue and restored the SNR but the speed was still not improving. Between 2pm and 5:15pm there was periodic latency spikes every 20 minutes or so. By 6pm full 210-20mbps speed restored

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@jackjt8 wrote:

Update - Network team was out around 11:30 and managed to resolve the network issue and restored the SNR but the speed was still not improving. Between 2pm and 5:15pm there was periodic latency spikes every 20 minutes or so. By 6pm full 210-20mbps speed restored

Interesting your speed was not fixed when packet loss was fixed...maybe VM router knows your having packet loss and slows you down then does a check with the modem every number of hours and speed is restored?  

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello @jackjt8,

Welcome back to the community page, thank you for posting on here.

I am sorry for the packet loss and the lack of connection.

I would love to help you further, I located your account using your forums details and checked the Hub, I can see some errors that need investigating. I will need to book an engineer for you, I will send you a private message so I can make sure I have the correct account and person 🙂

Please look out for a plum envelope at the top right of the page.

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide