Menu
Highlighted
jeane99
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

slow speeds in area 20

i want to add my voice to others who have remarked that the last few days there has been worst than normal speeds.  

i'm in area 20.  several tests over two days have seen me hover around 10mbps while i am paying for the 100mb package. 

does virgin throttle bandwidth?  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
gaz666uk
Tuning in
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: slow speeds in area 20

I'm in area 20 Ashton under lyne and past 7 days been slow and sometimes  disconnect only since Sunday been back too normal had engineer out  today couldn't fine fault said could be too many at cabinet but cause not many complain nothing will be done about it 

Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi jeane99

Thanks for popping back to us. We don't throttle customer's speeds with our broadband services anymore, however it is worrying when you are not getting the speeds that you are subscribed too.

Have you preformed a speed test recently? Are you doing this test through a wired or wireless connection? You can check here for any know area faults which may be causing a slow internet connection. This also allows you to run test and diagnostics on your equipment.

Keep us posted once you have tried the above.

Many thanks Jodi.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
jeane99
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

hi Jodi, 

yes been performing speedtests through ookla for the last three days.  i have had work in my area taking place but as of 3pm it should all be fixed.  

i've just completed another test (wirelessly) and it is still stuck at 10.

any thoughts?  thanks again for your help with this.  

[URL=https://www.speedtest.net/result/8495073530][IMG]https://www.speedtest.net/result/8495073530.png[/IM...]

Capture.JPG

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for getting back to us.

Can you please perform a wired speed test and let us know the results so we can see if its a problem with both wired and wireless?

Thanks

Melissa 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Yes put the Hub into modem mode and connect your device by a good quality and tested Cat5e/6 ethernet cable and see what it gives. If it is still low - try it with the laptop/pc booted into safe + networking mode and use a different (fresh) browser that you dont normally use (Opera. Firefox ?)

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
jeane99
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

this is the wired reading

[URL=https://www.speedtest.net/result/8495234235][IMG]https://www.speedtest.net/result/8495234235.png[/IM...]

as you can see it's still the same.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for providing that.

Have you been able to test it in safe mode as per the instructions from jbrennand above?

Thanks

Melissa 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
jeane99
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

thanks both for the suggestion to test it under safe mode.  the speed when up to where it should be.  

a little bit of research found the culprit to be a dell app called Smartbytes.  uninstalled that and speeds are amazing.  

thanks again for the help. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

That's great news to hear jeane99, I'm glad that you've found the reason for the slow speeds and it has been resolved.

Please let us know if you have any other issues and we can get them looked into.

Thanks

Steven_L