cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

paying for 1 Gb but not getting

linny40
Superfast

Hi, i have been having trouble with my speeds for a long time. I upgraded to 1GB last March ( 2021)

after keep ringing and talking to different people across the globe & getting different answers I almost gave up.!!!

Today I eventually got through on the phone to someone to say my Upgrade was Still Pending??

My speeds have been around 200-300 on Ethernet, but for some reason much higher on my mobile.

I was told by 2 different Virgin staff that this was down to the upgrade still pending BUT I have been paying for 1 gb for a year.

They are now looking into it. But how can this be?

every time I have rang and complained I either get told I need the new WIFI pod? why as its Not my wifi but my Ethernet speed. Or I get told there is a problem in the area.

Why has it taken so long for someone to suddenly look into this and tell me its due to something "Pending" on the account?

Is there any chance I will get a refund for a service I started paying for last year, but Not received, due to it "pending" I was previously on 500m and with so many things now needing wifi that was just not good enough, so upgraded ( or so I thought ) to the 1GB....................... only to be told now I've not been getting it!!!

Can anyone help or advise?

75 REPLIES 75

to legacy1,

He seems to want me to spend money I don't have on yes expensive toys. I have an average size house. At 1 point my wifi was not so good so I tried the free VM plug device, then via the form was told a mesh system would solve my problem. It did Until........... I had to have the hub moved down stairs for the telephone. Now the Hub is set up to a different PC  and the Internet is awful, even when it is connected direct to the hub - which is less than 2 ft from the Pc near a window.

My wifi now upstairs on the other PC is also useless. When it was connected direct to the hub there were No problems.  A Mod earlier in the post said I had a few problems which is why they organised an engineer, BUT he did Nothing other than tell me my system was useless and I needed to spend mega money to get good wifi!, or the other option was to purchase a new  expensive PC. Well this one is less than 5 yrs old.So I give up

All I want is an internet speed similar to what I am paying for so I can look up and download things.

The VM engineer told me I will Never get over 500 Mbps even if I pay for 1GB Because................. There is no Optic Fibre signal coming to the house as Virgin only have the fibre optic to the outside of the house.  I told him I am paying for Fibre Optic 1GB on Volt  - But I'm NOT getting it into my house with the cable I have, so he says.

The other engineer that moved my hub last month Must have put the correct cable into my house to connect VM to the Hub?? He Knew what he was doing. But I forgot his name, he's a lovely guy.

The engineer that came out due to my problem (Phil)  seems as much use as a chocolate TeaPot on a hot summers day!!!

Honestly Im not sure if the Engineer really knew what he was doing or saying.

It seemes to be so difficult to get this sorted 😞

@linny40 wrote:

Snip...

Honestly Im not sure if the Engineer really knew what he was doing or saying.

Trust me, he didn't, or possibly just wanted to get onto the next job and decided that you could be fobbed off with any old rubbish. Everything he told you was actually a complete load of old rubbish.

Now what you need to do is either wait for a member of the forum team to get back to this thread and offer to send another engineer - and ideally one who actually knows what they are talking about, or call VM, follow the path to 'thinking of leaving us' and tell them that you want to cancel your contract on the grounds of your connection not working properly and the engineer they sent out to fix the issues was actually completely useless.

Thanks

ive got a guy picking my pc up to look at it next week, so if a member of the team does not get back to me before then or I can’t get an appt then I will see the outcome of the PC - which will cost me 😩

Hi linny40, 

Thanks for coming back to us in the Community to let us know how the visit went. 

When I booked the appointment, it was due to pro-longed issues with the levels on the Hub however even though it may not have seemed like it, the engineer much have adjusted these as they are back within the optimal level now. 

I've checked things this end and all is looking good and as it should be. As you've mentioned the correct speeds are being received by another device too, this shows the correct speeds are being received by the hub. 

For WiFi, there are so many things that can influence a WiFi connection some of which include but are not limited to, a fish tank being in the same room, walls being built with concrete instead of brick, it could even be that your next door neighbours router is interfering with yours. Due to this, we are only able to offer limited help. Please have a look here: WiFi Help

The Hub's location could also be causing the coverage problem so we do need to check the positioning of it. Can you please ensure the following: 

• Out in the open
  • Next to the TV not behind it
  • Away from large bodies of water (e.g. fish tanks)
  • Away from baby monitors and cordless phones
  • Away from microwaves

Think of the Hub as a radio, and WiFi as the sound - the further away you are from the radio, or the more obstacles that are in the way (walls, electronic devices etc.), the quieter the radio & the poorer the WiFi. 

It may be worth looking at adding a WiFi pod to help improve the WiFi connection too. You can read more about that here

Let us know how things go. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Kath hi, thanks for your reply.

Its not so much the wifi as the Ethernet connection to my PC.

The hub is on the desk next to my PC about 18 inches away from PC & near a window. I will send photos via my mobile,

But your engineer said it should be under the stairs??? that does not make any sense!!

The Hub is not in the same room as the TV or Virgin Box .

At this moment my dl Speed is 200.44 ul is 39.64. This is directly on an Ethernet cable to the Hub.

He gave me a new hub so maybe that made the difference as he did nothing else other than plug his machine into the hub to state that he was getting a good signal.Also can you confirm re the Fibre Optic as he said people do Not have fibre optic in their homes, even though we pay for it? bit confused there as he said its impossible to get it into homes? or something to that effect.

The wifi on my mobile is dl 418 ul 33.1  ..................... So a big difference as the wifi on my phone is much much faster than the Ethernet connection.

I will look at your link, thanks

2986E797-B430-4A18-A242-F5563CA27D2C.jpeg

Hi there @linny40

Thank you so much for sharing this and so sorry to hear these issues are ongoing. 

Can I ask if you are able to perform a full factory reset? I can see the Hub has not been rebooted in 10 days so this may be beneficial. 

To do this, please push a pen etc into the 'reset' hole at the back of the Hub and hold it in for 20 seconds.

This will cause a full restart and if any of the passwords for the Hub have been changed they will reset to the original password.

Thank you. 

Linny,

You will find that Virgin do not send engineers to peoples homes, these guys are cable installers with minimal training in networking, and probably zero understanding of how WiFi actually works. Which is why you were wrongly advised to put it under stairs.

Out in the open in a central location is best away from any electrical devices, even for ethernet connections. A simple power cable can interfere with in unshielded ethernet cable.

Cabling to your house is Coaxial, which is not fibre, however doesnt inherently have a maximum speed up to 500metres if I remember right unlike Fibre which does dependant on the cable, but all of the connections must be fitted properly to prevent any leakage. The problem Virgin have is the underlying technology is old and out dated, unless they have already made the jump to DOCSIS 4.0 which i doubt due to our very low upload speeds.

Also the 

Ash 

It was a brand new hub that was put in & I did reboot at the time after I changed password, but will try it again to see if it makes any difference. My pc is going to be look at at by my tech guy to see if he can see a problem within the pc

Hi Linny, 

Thank you for coming back to let us know! Is the speed issue now isolated to the one device? (The PC?)

Your speeds are looking great, averaging 1145mpbs Upload and 47.51mpbs download for the last week .

Let us know how you are getting on so we can offer further support if needed. 

All the best!

Molly