Menu
jadedomnivore
On our wavelength
Message 11 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Re: new M500 upgrade worse than M350

Just tested speed at 2:28am and 245.07Mbps download on M500 contract.  35.38Mbps upload. 

Underwhelmed.

0 Kudos
jadedomnivore
On our wavelength
Message 12 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Second test at 2:32am and 245.84Mbps this time so consistently slow on 500Mbps during off peak (well off-peak).  Just wondering why the speedtest needle shoots up encouragingly and then is throttled back slower and slower in a deliberately traffic management kind of way in the middle of the night.

I assume you don't have the bandwidth capacity in the spine for the contracts that you've sold and you need to average it out for everybody.

Not worth paying for any extra above 200Mbps in my area it would seem. 

To be fair, there is no real need for more than 200Mbps but the industry has customers chasing numbers that don't matter.  Just don't promise what you can't deliver and we'd be happy.  Pay for 200 and get 200 = happy customer. Promise BS and don't deliver and customer feels extorted.

Marketing from your overseas call centre AGAIN has turned positive customer opinion into extremely negative one. They always call my mobile during work hours 3-4 times per day during the campaign.  Overseas means that you can ignore my call preference service wishes. Previously would recommend your services but not now as your surveys may ask.

0 Kudos
Mickoafc
Tuning in
Message 13 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Still no reply from the VM team and it's been 2 weeks or so..

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 14 of 21
Flag for a moderator

I've flagged that for the forum staff to take a look and advise.  Can't say how long that will take - if you're lucky could be minutes, otherwise might be tomorrow.

Whilst I refuse to apologise for VM's world-class-awful offshore "support", and an overall failure to properly resource customer service in every respect, it is a matter of fact that VM are currently swamped by customer service requests, and that's why this hasn't yet been picked up earlier.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 15 of 21
Flag for a moderator

It doesn't help that they jump on to some threads within a few hours of them being raised, >> this one << IIRC was with an hour !!

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 16 of 21
Flag for a moderator

@MikeRobbo wrote:

It doesn't help that they jump on to some threads within a few hours of them being raised, >> this one << IIRC was with an hour !!

Without presuming anything about the individual concerned, I suggest that would perhaps reflect the fact that some VM staff are shielding and WFH, and offer their assistance to this forum in their particular "day job" area of expertise.  There's other similar examples in areas of service availability and new sales queries and some technical queries. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Lisa_CC
Message 17 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Hey there @Mickoafc,

Sorry for the slow replies and for the speed issue you're having. I've taken a mooch around at your network details using the information we have on here and can see low downstream power levels which is causing a problem on all channels. I've arranged for an engineer to take a look and you can find the details via your online account  where you may also re-arrange it if necessary.

Do let us know how it goes and hope to get you back up and running.

Thanks,

Lisa

0 Kudos
jadedomnivore
On our wavelength
Message 18 of 21
Flag for a moderator

After having the system on and off a few times in the last week, I've just run a couple of speed tests about 10 minutes apart which were 442 and 474 Mbps so the speed upgrade appears to have finally been implemented. 

Running the superhub 3 now in modem mode with a new quad-core router so maybe the extra router processing power made the difference when moving from an M350 to an M500 contract.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Lisa_CC
Message 19 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for popping back with an update jadedomnivore and pleased to hear that the speeds are higher now. Do monitor it and let us know if you have anymore issues with it.

Thanks,

Lisa

0 Kudos
Mickoafc
Tuning in
Message 20 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply Lisa that's great.

Where in the account will I see this as I can't find it at the mo. Thanks again 

Mick 

0 Kudos