Menu
cityblue
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Wifi speed very slow

Hi 

My wifi speed is currently running at 6.39/0.16mb (in the same room as the router) but when I plug in the ethernet cable I get the 240/24mb which I am supposed to in my contract.

Why are these wifi speeds so slow? any help is appreciated

Thanks,

Alex

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wifi speed very slow

What device are you testing with?

Are you connecting to the 2.4Ghz band or the 5Ghz band?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
cityblue
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

What do you mean by what device am I testing with, sorry Im great with this stuff.

I ran a speed test online, also my wifi speeds have been slow for awhile now, my tv struggles to play HD Netflix content too unless I plug in the Ethernet cable.

I'm not sure what band I'm connected to, which ever the default is.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

The virgin hubs WiFi output is poor as it is.

If you want better WiFi you’ll need a better router, a mesh system or run some wired AP’s

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

By default there is one wireless SSID (network) you connect to with Virgin Media HUBs. Devices may end up connecting at a lower speed. You can 'force' a device to connect to the faster, albeit less range, band by splitting your SSID into two, one for 2.4Ghz, and one for 5Ghz.

Could you access your router using http://192.168.0.1/ .

Log in using the password on the base of the router, unless you've already changed it.

Navigate to Advanced Settings \ Wireless \ Security

You will see two sections, one for 2.4 Ghz and one for 5 Ghz. Change each 'SSID' to something different to identify which one to connect to. Personally I appended the existing name with '_2G' and '_5G'.

At the very bottom click 'Apply Changes'.

Note you will need to reconnect all wireless devices as the SSID (Network Name) will have changed.

When re-connecting use the '_5G' name if it's visible, if not use '_2G'.

If your device cannot 'see' the '_5G' network then unfortunately its a limitation with the hardware built into the device.

0 Kudos