Menu
DavidAyre3108
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

WiFi booster

Is there anywhere that I can buy a mains plug in WiFi booster that actually works. I have tried a couple and they seem to use a different password so when I move from the house to the garage my phone does not switch automatically and tends to hang on to the last one it connected to and has a bad signal continuously. Is there a unit that supplies seemless boosting between these areas 

0 Kudos
conman33158
Superfast
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: WiFi booster

You would need a mesh system for seamless connectivity mate. Look at the TP Link Deco M4, they have good reviews and not too expensive, or you can go for a third party router with better wifi capabilities. Also Asus do their own mesh setup called AiMesh 🙂

***********************************************************************************************************************************
Super Hub 4.0 (modem mode) - Gig1 Fibre FTTP - Asus RT-AX82U & Asus RT-AX56U with AiMesh setup
***********************************************************************************************************************************
My Broadband Ping - conman33158
0 Kudos
DavidAyre3108
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply.... What is the range of the mesh system. My garage is about 12m from the house. It gets its power on a different ring main from the fuse box in my kitchen. I'm still a bit vague on how the mesh system works is it radio or wired through the mains. 

0 Kudos
conman33158
Superfast
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Not sure of the range mate but it's wireless and one of the devices connects to the Virgin Hub and the Hub goes into modem mode. You can get the 3 devices, one at the hub, one closer to the garage and the other in the garage and that should give you full signal in the garage 🙂

Super Hub 4.0 (modem mode) - Gig1 Fibre FTTP - Asus RT-AX82U & Asus RT-AX56U with AiMesh setup
0 Kudos
DavidAyre3108
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Also you can get single, twin and triple packs I take it that one is connected to the original router and then I need at least 1 in the garage or would I need one in my kitchen which is between the router and my back garden and then obviously the garage 

0 Kudos
conman33158
Superfast
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

As above mate, think we posted at the same time 🙂

0 Kudos
Adduxi
Problem sorter
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@DavidAyre3108 wrote:

Is there anywhere that I can buy a mains plug in WiFi booster that actually works. I have tried a couple and they seem to use a different password so when I move from the house to the garage my phone does not switch automatically and tends to hang on to the last one it connected to and has a bad signal continuously. Is there a unit that supplies seemless boosting between these areas 

Run an external Cat 6 ethernet cable out to the garage, and install a good Access point, something like a Unifi AC Lite or Pro. This will allow for seamless roaming along with other management features. No wifi solution will be as stable as a cabled solution to the garage.

0 Kudos