Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 411 of 452
Flag for a moderator

Re: Where will 500 Mbps roll out first?

@happywithmy350 wrote:
Well if you really can't wait 40 mins - then you can't wait 40 mins. That's down to you. You are going to be waiting years for 1Gbps so...

Why would I want to wait 40 minutes for a download?

The goal is to get it down to mere seconds, not go “meh, good enough”. 

And years?

5G has launched here in Manchester so the potential for 1Gb+ just got a whole lot easier - I’ve seen some insane speed results that people have got. 

But, more importantly, 1Gb is fast becoming widely available in Manchester too, HyperOptic offer 1Gb for £49 I believe. 

And I’m looking to buy another property in the next 12 months so I’ll be sure to make sure it’s available as around the city centre, there’s so much choice and now expanded to other areas. 

So less like years and more like soon. 

But if you are happy to wait, then you are happy to wait. 

I prefer progress and efficiency. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Well-informed
Message 412 of 452
Flag for a moderator

Yes good for you and Manchester - not all of us live in a city where they can do this - so might not be years for you but I bet 1Gbps is not going to be on Virgin for at least 5!.

However that said when they do start to compete in areas the whole network gets it (my understanding anyway) so that's also a good thing not living in a nasty choked up city but still getting the same benefit on VM when it happens for those who do.

You are seeing insane speed results because only a few people are on it - it's already showing signs of congestion in London. Give it a few months and it'll start to contend. Also yes the speed is great if you can get 1Gbps but it looks like the max allowance right now is a puny 100GB - so if the phone runs at full speed that's the allowance gone in 14 minutes..

Why else would someone get 5G if not to download? so once again EE have done a stupid thing and I am sure many people are calling up hours after they get their phone to say they are out of data. Got to pay for all that upgraded tech some how!

I used 5G at an EE test base station at their call centre in Bristol a year ago (it was a storage container in their car park basically) - it couldn't get to 1Gbps then and 4 people were on it - so good luck getting that in Manchester long term!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 413 of 452
Flag for a moderator

5G is only just getting going, there is lots more spectrum still to be auctioned which will come online over the coming years as demand grows. Ironically the smallest of the main operators (Three) has by far the most 5G spectrum as things stand, and is likely to have the highest speeds.

graph.png

(Grey = 4G spectrum in MHz, Purple = 5G spectrum in MHz)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Well-informed
Message 414 of 452
Flag for a moderator

Yes but Three said that about 4G and a few years on it is slow and in some places unusable - and this was a network built for the internet, apparently.

Won't 5G just be the same over time?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 415 of 452
Flag for a moderator

Three have a limited amount of 4G spectrum compared to the other networks, but the situation is completely reversed with 5G. They have more spectrum than the other networks combined, including a contiguous 100Mhz block in the 3.4Ghz band, so they're in a much better position.

Highlighted
Well-informed
Message 416 of 452
Flag for a moderator

Well as always the proof is in the pudding and time will tell. I am sure unlimited 5G at 1Gbps or so will force many providers to up their game. VM included. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 417 of 452
Flag for a moderator

Anyone have this in South Tyneside?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 418 of 452
Flag for a moderator

Not likely to be much help. Service performance can be different between streets so local areas like South Tyneside aren't likely to be too helpful.

I'm looking forward to having an equivalent service to 700/55 next week. Should be interesting seeing how the network copes.

I will, of course, provide speed tests promptly. Should be installed Tuesday, and will probably take a day or so to find the time to get the load balancing correct and working fully - that kind of performance is likely to be at the extremes of the capability of the hardware I'm using, they're only baby appliances!

Highlighted
Well-informed
Message 419 of 452
Flag for a moderator

I am sure this will be very old tech for Carl - but If anyone wants or can use it - I have a TP-LINK TL-ER5120 rack mountable load balancer. Now I know in the past I have had FTTC and VM going on it - it takes 4 connections but I don't know if it will do 2 VM lines as it's GB so I assume 1Gbps max .

It cost me I think about £140 - not worth anything now so free to good home. Thanks for the Speedtest reminder too
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 420 of 452
Flag for a moderator

Seems like where I am in N.I can now get 500mb.. its tempting.

[ Original Post in the wrong topic sorry ]

0 Kudos