cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Volted but <600MB

Gsawyer
On our wavelength

Hi All. Volted over 14 days ago, max speed down measured on my Asus router on the wire is 600MB but routinely <500MB, upload is 50MB though.

I don't want to put the Hub 4 in to WiFi mode because it just doesn't cover the house. Also, don't want to use powerline repeaters because of noise.

Can anyone help please?

36 REPLIES 36

Thanks, great advice 🙂

Excellent 🙂 I'm on it, thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Gsawyer,

Welcome to our Community Forums! Thank you for your first post and I'm sorry to hear that you're having some speed issues with your connection!

I'm glad to see that you're receiving a lot of wonderful advice from our Community Members! I understand that you have your Virgin Media Hub in Modem Mode. Is this correct?

I'll be happy to look into this issue further for you, however, if your Hub is in Modem Mode, we don't receive the needed information to run checks. In order to see all the needed information, we'd need you to put your Hub back into Router Mode for at least 24 hours. Would you be able to do this?

Once this is done, we can run checks on our systems and see if there's anything we can do so that you're getting the right speeds.

If needed, you can take a look at our Minimum Speed Guarantee page for more information about what speeds you should be getting.

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Gsawyer
On our wavelength

Hi Paulina,

Many thanks, I'll do that today and leave it running for a while 🙂

I'll do it by midday.

Thanks,

Gary

Gsawyer
On our wavelength

Switched to WiFi mode and tested.

Hub runs at 1147 mbps

WiFi maxes ~400mbps using a Samsung S22 Ultra 1m from Hub 4 and a laptop, same speeds.

Wire speeds connected to the Hub 4 from a laptop 900mbs 🙂

Maybe max wifi is 400mbs?

Thanks,

Gary

@Gsawyer wrote:

Switched to WiFi mode and tested.

Hub runs at 1147 mbps

WiFi maxes ~400mbps using a Samsung S22 Ultra 1m from Hub 4 and a laptop, same speeds.

Wire speeds connected to the Hub 4 from a laptop 900mbs 🙂

Maybe max wifi is 400mbs?

Thanks,

Gary

Although your Samsung is capable of WiFi-6 the HUB 4 is not (WiFi-5), so sounds about right.

Thanks Carl,

Do Virgin Carry a WiFi6 hub? Could I get one?

As an aside, it's odd I can get 1Gb or near as dammit on Ethernet in WiFi Mode, I can't get it in Modem Mode. Same cable, same laptop. Weird 🙂

Thanks 🙂

@Gsawyer wrote:

Thanks Carl,

Do Virgin Carry a WiFi6 hub? Could I get one?

As an aside, it's odd I can get 1Gb or near as dammit on Ethernet in WiFi Mode, I can't get it in Modem Mode. Same cable, same laptop. Weird 🙂

Thanks 🙂

The HUB 5 has WiFi-6, however I'm unsure how readily available they are.

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hey Gsawyer, thanks for all the posts and replies on the help forum and this thread, it's great to see you've had all this brilliant advice from our forum members and staff so far.

In regard to your question about Wi Fi 6, as carl_pearce correctly advised above we do have this on our hub 5.

Please, visit this link where you can find all the relevant info about our hubs as well as how to upgrade to a new hub.

About our guaranteed service speeds, we do have a minimum speed depending on the speed tier which can be measured via ethernet connection directly on the hub with all other devices and equipment removed.
View more on our speeds explained page here.

Also, we'd like to explain that wireless is a separate network and speeds depend more on the device and location (signal strength) we therefore have different policies in place, please find out more on this page.

About your Samsung handset and speed you receive over the Wi Fi, can you please advise if there's a VPN active or could you see if our speed test here returns the same values?

You may you use our Connect App to run a scan for both wired and wireless speeds on this phone so we can see if the values differ there?

Let us know if this information is of help, we'll be eager to assist with anything further queries or concerns you have.

Adri
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Gsawyer
On our wavelength

Hi Adri,

Hub Test 1066 Mbps

Wifi on the S22 (no vpn) 425 Mbps

It's definitely lower speed on the WiFi, can't get over that 425 limit. I did try the app to upgrade the Hub 4 but I couldn't find out how.

Because I've already upgraded (over the phone) I can't see how to get the Hub 5 via the app nor on the website.

Thanks 🙂