cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Volted but <600MB

Gsawyer
On our wavelength

Hi All. Volted over 14 days ago, max speed down measured on my Asus router on the wire is 600MB but routinely <500MB, upload is 50MB though.

I don't want to put the Hub 4 in to WiFi mode because it just doesn't cover the house. Also, don't want to use powerline repeaters because of noise.

Can anyone help please?

36 REPLIES 36

@Gsawyer wrote:

Thanks 🙂

IQ Tester shows the cable is good but I will try it on a shorter cable.

Port is marked WAN and isn't blue... wonder if it can do 1GB?

Can only use 1 SSID, I Get the same speed on a Ethernet connected laptop too.

Thanks 🙂

If it's marked WAN connect it to that.

Look at changing the firmware also, Look for Merlin Firmware for that router model, OG firmware but more advanced and more secure and you'll be able to separate the WiFi channels, however you should be able to do that on stock. 

Did you also power down your Hub? 

Post your stats from the Hub, maybe there is a connection issue externally. 

https://qin.tuyacn.com/privacy-policy/en/K9628211ka53d/index - This site shows you how to split the WiFi

Thanks for all the answers, I'll be busy for a while 🙂

I can separate 2.4 and 5, but 5-1 and 5-2 use the same SSID. On guest each freq can have its own SSID... I dunno why.

Hub powered down.

I've been using the Asus app, need to be on it via web, schoolboy error.

Because the hub is in modem mode I'm not sure where to get stats, do you mean this:

Primary Downstream Service Flow

SFID
Max Traffic Rate
Max Traffic Burst
Min Traffic Rate

Primary Upstream Service Flow

SFID
Max Traffic Rate
Max Traffic Burst
Min Traffic Rate
Max Concatenated Burst
Scheduling Type
bestEffort

@Gsawyer wrote:

Hub powered down.

I've been using the Asus app, need to be on it via web, schoolboy error.

Because the hub is in modem mode I'm not sure where to get stats, do you mean this:

Primary Downstream Service Flow

SFID
Max Traffic Rate
Max Traffic Burst
Min Traffic Rate

Primary Upstream Service Flow

SFID
Max Traffic Rate
Max Traffic Burst
Min Traffic Rate
Max Concatenated Burst
Scheduling Type
bestEffort

1. Browse to http://192.168.100.1

2. Under the login field press check router stats.

3. You should see different tabs. 

Also, you need to do the WiFi changes via the router gui, on a laptop preferably. 

http://router.asus.com

Cable Modem Status

Item Status Comments

Cable Modem Status 

DOCSIS 3.1

Primary downstream channel 

SC-QAM

Channel Overview Downstream Upstream

DOCSIS 3.0 channels 

DOCSIS 3.1 channels 

If thecstats are ok, the WiFi is ok, the switch is ok, it has to be cabling. This weekend I'll check the cabling and put the Asus right next to the Hub 4.

Thanks for all your help 🙂

@Gsawyer wrote:

Cable Modem Status

Item Status Comments

Cable Modem Status 

DOCSIS 3.1

Primary downstream channel 

SC-QAM

Channel Overview Downstream Upstream

DOCSIS 3.0 channels 

DOCSIS 3.1 channels 

If thecstats are ok, the WiFi is ok, the switch is ok, it has to be cabling. This weekend I'll check the cabling and put the Asus right next to the Hub 4.

Thanks for all your help 🙂

MUFFINTAST1C_0-1680766285812.png

Make sure you've gotten the other data from the other tabs on the page @ 192.168.100.1 - They're clickable.

First of all, I would disconnect any ethernet cabling and do it in stages, starting with the WAN cable, then a fresh cable to a laptop.

Did you manage to split the WiFi ? You should just have one 2.4Ghz SSiD as labelled, and for the WiFi 5/6 SSiD (but 5-1 and 5-2) use the same SSiD so in reality you should have just 2, however if you have WiFi 6 enabled the device will recognise this anyway regardless.

You need to find a device that has WiFi 5/6 as standard then stay next to the Asus router and use fast.com - If the results are the same with a fresh WAN cable there is a problem on your street aka external issues.

Once you have figured out the bottle neck I would look into the Merlin Firmware for that router also, I don't own that model however but the 86 (AX) version with the Merlin firmware installed - It allows me more customisation and flexibility of al the OG firmware. If you're able to these are my settings off my router (it may differ) but this is how I enabled WiFi 6 to be backwards compatible.

MUFFINTAST1C_0-1680766877061.png

If you want to use WPA3 select WPA2/3 just in case you have a WiFi 5 device that doesn't support WPA3. I have a few devices that do so I just use WPA3 on it's own.

Also, check for any issues in your area > 

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/service-status

Enter your postcode and last name.

It will then do a check.. If it comes back "OK" press 'Broadband' then press 'Test Hub' then press 'Test' if it comes back "You need to reboot your hub" ignore it I get it too it means it it's fine, however it comes with an exclamation mark that means there is a problem in your area and beyond your control.