cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Volted but <600MB

Gsawyer
On our wavelength

Hi All. Volted over 14 days ago, max speed down measured on my Asus router on the wire is 600MB but routinely <500MB, upload is 50MB though.

I don't want to put the Hub 4 in to WiFi mode because it just doesn't cover the house. Also, don't want to use powerline repeaters because of noise.

Can anyone help please?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

First thing to try would be to replace the ethernet cable from the Hub to the Asus router, 9/10 it could be a faulty cable and the link speed could have been set to 100Mbps and make sure you're plugging it into the blue port with the 'E' on the back of the Asus, WAN port.

Second thing to do would be to power down the Hub 4 and Asus once you've replaced the cable, known bug in Hub 4 firmware to automatically set all the ports on it to 100Mbps and a general reboot will fix this, let the hub power up and gain a connection then power up your Asus router, then make sure you've separated the WiFi, so you have 5GHz AC and 2.4Ghz, something like this:

MUFFINTAST1C_0-1680701188736.png

Never have just one single SSiD for WiFi if you have newer devices that have WiFi 5/AX as it could be bottle necked.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

36 REPLIES 36

Client62
Legend

Help to do what ?

MUFFINTAST1C
On our wavelength

@Gsawyer wrote:

Hi All. Volted over 14 days ago, max speed down measured on my Asus router on the wire is 600MB but routinely <500MB, upload is 50MB though.

I don't want to put the Hub 4 in to WiFi mode because it just doesn't cover the house. Also, don't want to use powerline repeaters because of noise.

Can anyone help please?

First of all can you give us the model of the Asus router? I have an Asus router on a 1GiB connection and 350MiB connection. 

On my 1 GiB connection I can max it out on WiFi 6 on fast.com at 1.1GBps or 940 and I can max out my other connection at 400 Mbps on WiFi AC 5 at a different location.

I'm pretty competent with Asus routers.

First thing to try would be to replace the ethernet cable from the Hub to the Asus router, 9/10 it could be a faulty cable and the link speed could have been set to 100Mbps and make sure you're plugging it into the blue port with the 'E' on the back of the Asus, WAN port.

Second thing to do would be to power down the Hub 4 and Asus once you've replaced the cable, known bug in Hub 4 firmware to automatically set all the ports on it to 100Mbps and a general reboot will fix this, let the hub power up and gain a connection then power up your Asus router, then make sure you've separated the WiFi, so you have 5GHz AC and 2.4Ghz, something like this:

MUFFINTAST1C_0-1680701188736.png

Never have just one single SSiD for WiFi if you have newer devices that have WiFi 5/AX as it could be bottle necked.

Gsawyer
On our wavelength

Get my 1GB download.

@Gsawyer wrote:

Get my 1GB download.

Well you won't with a 1Gbps Ethernet connection to a third party router.

Around 940Mbps is the fastest you'll see in your scenario.

Thanks,

RT-AX92U.

I *do* have only one SSID and I'll change that tonight... Just checked and I think I can only set one SSID.

Doesn't seem to allow an SSID per frequency. 

Thanks... I don't think I can have more than one SSID.

I will try the cable although it checks out on my Fluke IQ tester.

Thanks 🙂

IQ Tester shows the cable is good but I will try it on a shorter cable.

Port is marked WAN and isn't blue... wonder if it can do 1GB?

Can only use 1 SSID, I Get the same speed on a Ethernet connected laptop too.

Thanks 🙂

Thanks... barely see 600 though 😞