cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin Media throttling P2P

コナー
Dialled in

After months of ringing up and getting nothing out of it I'm taking it to the forums.

Despite my contract stating I shouldn't be throttled on P2P like clockwork if I attempt to download anything via P2P, like let's say the Ubuntu ISO, it will pick up speed to then nosedive to just a few kilobits per second, this oddly enough occours over the whole network so everything connected via ethernet or wifi has a pretty much unusable connection until the throttle ends.

In testing I can see my broadband bring back up speed after pausing or finishing the torrent.

This occours with the Hub 3 in modem mode and router mode and didn't used to happen previously. I have had multiple replacement Hubs in the mean time.

Forever waiting for the Hub 4
102 REPLIES 102

The Gig1 package is for that 0.1 that have the hardware and want the speed. Virgin Media's top package should include a capable router for those 0.1%, especially if they are paying a lot more than their other customers.

Virgin give 1104mbps for the Gig1 package but because they have only given 1 gigabit ethernet ports, the people like myself that have added 3rd party routers to get the performance required will only get 940mbps because of overheads; giving a 2.5g port would have allowed the extra 100 or so meg through. My router has 2.5 wan but I cannot use that because Virgin have stupidly given only 1gig ethernet.

As for hardware we currently have 20 devices that rely on the internet (before adding the extra 20 or so devices that connect when my siblings come round with their kids), and out of that 5 devices support 1000mb+.

If I Have Tried To Help You Hope It Helps:
I am fairly knowledgeable about technology in general and will try to help you to the best of my ability.

Sky (Glass) World Customer (TV), Virgin Media Fibre Optic Gig1; Virgin Media Phone Package

Want To Contact Virgin Media's UK Call Centre?
Here's How:
STEP 1: Dial 150 (Virgin Landline) or 0345 454 1111 (Non Virgin Phone)
STEP 2: Option 1 for TV, Broadband or Home Phone

STEP 3: If The Number You Are Calling From Belongs To Your Virgin Media Account Select Option 1 If Not 2 (then enter the Virgin Media Home Number or press # then tap in Virgin Media Account Number
STEP 4: Select Option 4 - To Make Changes To Your Package Or Tell Us You Are Moving
STEP 5: Select Option 4 - If You Are Thinking Of Leaving Us
STEP 6: Select Option 2 - If You Are Thinking Of Leaving Us For Any Other Reason

UK Call Centre Times:
Mon - Fri 8am - 9pm
Sat - Sun - 9am - 6pm

I don't think Virgin will bring a new hub supporting wifi 6 anytime soon, considering how slow their past rollouts have been. virgin heavily advertise as having the best widely available speeds but they should also give some thought to the hardware they supply.

If I Have Tried To Help You Hope It Helps:
I am fairly knowledgeable about technology in general and will try to help you to the best of my ability.

Sky (Glass) World Customer (TV), Virgin Media Fibre Optic Gig1; Virgin Media Phone Package

Want To Contact Virgin Media's UK Call Centre?
Here's How:
STEP 1: Dial 150 (Virgin Landline) or 0345 454 1111 (Non Virgin Phone)
STEP 2: Option 1 for TV, Broadband or Home Phone

STEP 3: If The Number You Are Calling From Belongs To Your Virgin Media Account Select Option 1 If Not 2 (then enter the Virgin Media Home Number or press # then tap in Virgin Media Account Number
STEP 4: Select Option 4 - To Make Changes To Your Package Or Tell Us You Are Moving
STEP 5: Select Option 4 - If You Are Thinking Of Leaving Us
STEP 6: Select Option 2 - If You Are Thinking Of Leaving Us For Any Other Reason

UK Call Centre Times:
Mon - Fri 8am - 9pm
Sat - Sun - 9am - 6pm

jhuk
Trouble shooter

@ apcyberax: That is not an excuse, for VM to launch/supply a service that their device can only achieve internally through the Coax and SamKnows software read result, suppose that is how they can make the claim and get away with it.

Myself and as I said others do not even see the point, either do it right or delay launch and do it right later and there will always be customers who have older hardware, some still have 10/100 (mainly laptops) the world cannot stand still for those customer or devices and that is the case for any tech be it Higher RES broadcast or such.

I had an 1080p TV in 2006 as my old 20 year old TV died (BBC trials and a few world cups games on BBC/ITV and that was that for a while), how long was it before most people even knew what HD was (not inc my mum as she still will not have a clue), then it was the HD Ready (does not even need support a 720 output) fiasco and again it took years before the broadcasters were doing it in any good measures.

If you want to White Knight/Champion for VM's "1GB" service there is a thread on the topic, this thread is about throttling which IMO is not going on outside of what I have already added previously and is on VM webpage.

Anonymous
Not applicable
the speed can be achieved. 250mbps though each of the 4 ports. No point does VM advertising so speeds to a single device.

jhuk
Trouble shooter

I knew that was coming and its again it is total BS and you know it.

That is like saying 4 cars doing 250mph on a 4 lane road are doing 1000mph (they are combined) but again you know what I mean.

A get out of jail card does not make it any less BS.

Sorry but saying "No point does VM advertising so speeds to a single device." is an absolute cop out, most people are not techincal and so would read this as TO a single device

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Luke_113 wrote:

Sorry but saying "No point does VM advertising so speeds to a single device." is an absolute cop out, most people are not techincal and so would read this as TO a single device

Personally I'm not aware of any Gigabit speed provider that has anything other than Gigibit Lan ports on their hardware. Happy to be corrected on that though

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

Shelke
Alessandro Volta

It really is odd that VM can sell it as a 1Gb service when they know the hardware they provide does not support it! Myself I don't need anything above 100Mb broadband, but if I did want 1Gb I certainly wouldn't pay VM for a 1Gb service knowing that their provided kit cannot even support it.

Edit: Thank you autocorrect Cat Sad.

Kippies
Alessandro Volta

@Sabtain7 wrote:

The Gig1 package is for that 0.1 that have the hardware and want the speed. Virgin Media's top package should include a capable router for those 0.1%, especially if they are paying a lot more than their other customers.

Virgin give 1104mbps for the Gig1 package but because they have only given 1 gigabit ethernet ports, the people like myself that have added 3rd party routers to get the performance required will only get 940mbps because of overheads; giving a 2.5g port would have allowed the extra 100 or so meg through. My router has 2.5 wan but I cannot use that because Virgin have stupidly given only 1gig ethernet.

As for hardware we currently have 20 devices that rely on the internet (before adding the extra 20 or so devices that connect when my siblings come round with their kids), and out of that 5 devices support 1000mb+.

So that says HUB4 CAN give gigabit speeds on one port, assuming its in modem mode. Not 4x250.

That gets the ASA complaints covered

Ive long since given up looking at real world speeds compared to advertised. No WAY your HUB3 is flinging files around LANside at gigabit speeds, but it WILL fling em faster than a HUB2.

Add in peering and the fact quoted speeds are only internal to VM's network......WANside has no chance.

jhuk
Trouble shooter

A 1Gb/s port is 1Gb/s no matter if modem or router so I do not see your point.

The VM get out of jail card is the HUB4 can get 1Gb/s +10% contention so 1.1Gb/s from the Coax but that's not much good to the PC connected to the Port.

Someone said they got over 1Gb/s by using more than 1 cable not if modem mode or not but does not make sense unless some sort of Teaming is going on like Intel NIC's can do on Mobos that have 2 NIC's

I could  live with that, 4 ports and you loose 2 to get 1Gb/s+ so left with 2 ports for other devices, that would be my NV Shield and rest are WIFI.