Menu
wildride
Dialled in
Message 21 of 103
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin Media throttling P2P

I have to point out that P2P is entirely dependant on the person you are downloading from.. and in most cases they will throttle the upload. Thats why P2P is terrible for downloading anything substantial. When I used to use them I would cap the upload to 1kb for 5 connections. meaning each getting 0.2kb download. When people can do that its not worth the hassle, now just buy something legit and download in minutes, if not seconds.

BTW if Ubuntu why not download it from Ubuntu's own website. It takes 2 minutes for the 2.3gb download.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 22 of 103
Flag for a moderator

you don't think anyone using torrents are really using it for Linux distro right. that's just the posted example so they don't get told they can't help illegal downloaders. we all know the real problem is all the movies and CDs
Kippies
Alessandro Volta
Message 23 of 103
Flag for a moderator

@Anonymous wrote:
you don't think anyone using torrents are really using it for Linux distro right. that's just the posted example so they don't get told they can't help illegal downloaders. we all know the real problem is all the movies and CDs

Tsk Tsk, so cynical

A lot of people have a need to download multiple Nix distros 2 or 3 times a day. For  ummm.....research........

Including I must add this 720p one

uTorrent2.png

Shelke
Alessandro Volta
Message 24 of 103
Flag for a moderator

Apcy is right, most people use it for movies etc.

Just like those VM news group servers (are they still up?), people didn't go to them for the latest news from The Guardian or BBC. They went there to download & upload illegal copies of games/movies/TV shows/etc.

Same for a lot of people who used to use IRC clients (which were meant for chat primarily) but they would add in DCC addons to automate the piracy process.

Sabtain7
Up to speed
Message 25 of 103
Flag for a moderator

The hub 4 is terrible, I upgraded to gig1 and was getting around TV right next to the hub on a 1350mbps capable wifi 6 device. I upgraded my router to the NETGEAR Nighthawk AX12 Tri band router and now get 900+ in the same place.

If I Have Tried To Help You Hope It Helps:
I am fairly knowledgeable about technology in general and will try to help you to the best of my ability.

Sky (Glass) World Customer (TV), Virgin Media Fibre Optic Gig1; Virgin Media Phone Package

Want To Contact Virgin Media's UK Call Centre?
Here's How:
STEP 1: Dial 150 (Virgin Landline) or 0345 454 1111 (Non Virgin Phone)
STEP 2: Option 1 for TV, Broadband or Home Phone

STEP 3: If The Number You Are Calling From Belongs To Your Virgin Media Account Select Option 1 If Not 2 (then enter the Virgin Media Home Number or press # then tap in Virgin Media Account Number
STEP 4: Select Option 4 - To Make Changes To Your Package Or Tell Us You Are Moving
STEP 5: Select Option 4 - If You Are Thinking Of Leaving Us
STEP 6: Select Option 2 - If You Are Thinking Of Leaving Us For Any Other Reason

UK Call Centre Times:
Mon - Fri 8am - 9pm
Sat - Sun - 9am - 6pm
0 Kudos
jem101
Community elder
Message 26 of 103
Flag for a moderator

@Sabtain7 wrote:
The hub 4 is terrible, I upgraded to gig1 and was getting around TV right next to the hub on a 1350mbps capable wifi 6 device. I upgraded my router to the NETGEAR Nighthawk AX12 Tri band router and now get 900+ in the same place.

That sounds about right, the limiting factor is now the connection between the Nighthawk and the VM Hub which will only be 1 Gbit (or more likely 940 Mb/s allowing for overheads etc.)

RedGooner
Super solver
Message 27 of 103
Flag for a moderator

The SH4 should have a 2.5Gb Network port on it, bu only putting a 1Gb Network is very limmiting.

VM missed a trick there.

--
Red (VM SH2 AC Beta tester)
Running on 1Gbps VM service with SH4 in Modem Mode, with a ASUS GT-AX6000 router. With this setup I get Fantastic WIRED and WIRELESS Signals in my home. I dont work for VM. But I work in IT, and I know my tech.
My advice is at your own risk. If you are happy with my answers please press Kudo ?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 28 of 103
Flag for a moderator

how many people have 2.5gbps network ports on their hardware
0 Kudos
jhuk
Problem sorter
Message 29 of 103
Flag for a moderator

Still a moot point as the device VM are supplying is for a 1Gb/s service and I think you will find the majority of people have voiced this, I added it should have had WIFI 6 AX also (Which I do have on PC).

You can buy relatively cheap Mobos with 2.5Gb/s and even 5Gb/s NICs now and a few are 10Gb/s (all under $300).

And you can add to current PC via PCI-E card.

I see a HUBax in the future like the SH2 > SH2ac.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 30 of 103
Flag for a moderator

you "can buy" but the question was how many people have them now. 99.9% of the userbase will not understand hardware. we still see people using 10/100 and wondering why they can't get 350
0 Kudos