cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin Media Hub 3 Port(s) Issue

muffintastic
Superfast

Hello again.

The for the past how long now my mum-in-laws Hub 3 has been switching from 1GiB to 100MB port speeds, as detected using my own router, this has been happening randomly now on all 4 ports on the Hub 3, it's not really bothered me but when you're constantly having to swap ethernet cables it gets a bit of a pain.

Before people start jumping the gun, I have tried numerous ethernet cables that are only 0.3M long, the 3rd party router is literally by the hub. I've eliminated it being the router as it's pretty much new, and the ethernet cables are solid.

Is this a sign of the Hub 3 starting to fail on me, I can live swapping the ports now and again but it's get tedious when it happens and I get the other half chewing my ear off the internet is slow, when I know it's not but clearly a hub issue, also, I've also noticed as well it's running very warm, warmer than usual and yes, it's in a well ventilated area, so I can only assume the Hub 3 is well near the EoL.

What options do I have, well my mum-in-law? She's not tech savvy nor her daughter hence why I'm posting this post.

Thanks again and look forward to a positive reply.

10 REPLIES 10

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

ask for a new hub

---------------------------------------------------------------

Sabrina_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @muffintastic 👋.

Thanks for reaching out to us. Apologies you are having issues relating to our Hub. We can certainly assist. We would need to bring you in for a private message to discuss this and resolve. 

Please look out for the envelope on the top right of your web browser or if you are using a mobile device, it will be located under your profile icon.

Thanks.

Sabrina

Client62
Legend

In this situation the untested 3rd party Router is the one common factor.

@Client62 wrote:

In this situation the untested 3rd party Router is the one common factor.

Clarify, a £270 Asus RT-AX86 router. Doubtful.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

Yes doubtful or put that idea to rest by connecting a PC to the hub in modem mode and see how stable it is and why not change the cable while your at it.

@legacy1 wrote:

Yes doubtful or put that idea to rest by connecting a PC to the hub in modem mode and see how stable it is and why not change the cable while your at it.

I've change the cable numerous time if you read.

Sorry, I disagree I don't see a reliable router would cause this issue. If you look at the numerous posts in regards to the same post you'll find it's the Hub 3, it's clearly not up to standards regardless what you or anyone else believes, it's an EoL product, if having different technicians as well telling you it's a terrible Hub then I don't what else to say, it's absolutely mind baffling to think that the Hub 3 is still cut above the rest. I'm telling what I'm experiencing what issues I'm having with the Hub 3 and they're like 90% of the forum posts about it, hardware wise. Talking blue in th face. I'm speaking with a rep via DM. Thank you for your replies.

Client62
Legend

You can not be serious !

Our Hub 3 is has 4 ports all connected  at 1Gb/s and month after month it is not a bit of trouble.

@muffintastic wrote:

Sorry, I disagree I don't see a reliable router would cause this issue. If you look at the numerous posts in regards to the same post you'll find it's the Hub 3, it's clearly not up to standards regardless what you or anyone else believes, it's an EoL product, if having different technicians as well telling you it's a terrible Hub then I don't what else to say, it's absolutely mind baffling to think that the Hub 3 is still cut above the rest. I'm telling what I'm experiencing what issues I'm having with the Hub 3 and they're like 90% of the forum posts about it, hardware wise. Talking blue in th face. I'm speaking with a rep via DM. Thank you for your replies.

I have a reliable managed Cisco switch that works just fine but one port anything I plug into it links at 100Mb but I don't think its the switch because its reliable and everything else must be the problem.

Do you agree?

So, you're saying you can spend £1K on networking equipment and all the bells and whistles then plug it into an ISP provided Hub that barely costs anything to manufacture and then you blame it on your equipment?

Anyone with common sense would agree that ISP provided equipment is terrible, if they were that good you wouldn't have all these people posting "WiFI is terrible" "WAN Port dead" "WAN port is stuck at 100"

Like I said, I've got the same equipment at different properties on a Hub 4 and Hub 5 so, why is it happening on this Hub 3 - You've got technicians saying they're terrible hubs, in router mode it's slow, the WiFI is terrible, I wish people like you would stop glorifying the Hub 3 as the best thing since slice bread, they're terrible. Talking blue in the face. 😑

Why would I go out of my way to even post this post, for fun games, it's happened on two of my own routers, so is it just by chance I've got two faulty 3rd party routers? 🤣