cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very, very slow VPN at busy times

Ebmocnud
Tuning in

I have  350mbps connection and speeds are generally good at most times. I have been using Nordvpn for a while. but for the last couple of months the vpn connection during office hours is dire and runs at about 10% of the norm and then returns in the evening.

Nordvpn has checked out all my settings and can find nothing wrong, so I can only assume that VM are somehow throttling my vpn connection.

Unfortunately it is impossible to get hold of a human at VM to talk this through and check my system and connections - anyone have a similar problem or any ideas? 

21 REPLIES 21

No the non VPN is currently running at 364mbps, so that's absolutely fine!

Current VPN is 16mbps!!

TBB Speedtest
Could you complete this test without VPN using a wired connection to hub please https://labs2.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/

Once the test is complete please click the blue results page button and share the link directly back here.

The Giggitty 1

High Upstream Utilization IssueHigh Upstream Utilization Issue

The issue at play is that your upstream (upload speeds) is so congested, due to to local usage (working from home and schooling from home) that will be affecting the VPN from communicating and will in turn slow it right down, (this issue will impact the connection somewhat regardless of using VPN or not

These issues are not unlikely to resolve until at least the kids go back to school, unfortunately not much else we can do at this point.

This issue is also reflecting on the BQM we setup last night, as a bit of fun does some tests around 12:30 -1:30 you may well see a slight break and an increase in upload speed again and then when lunch breaks finish it will drop again.

The Giggitty 1

Thanks Matt, so is it the upload speed that really matters rather than the download speed - as I thought it was the other way round?

Also can I blame VM for a poor upload connection....or do I just have to wait until March 8th when the kids go back!

Upload is pretty much most important and its your data/requests going via it that make downloading happen, for many years its not be considered important but in the last 5 years I've been somewhat advocating its importance as more and more people start streaming and sharing online.

Download now has become so much of a known headline and seller in the market that is more focused upon, everybody seems to be obsessed with the Gigabit (1000mb) headline these days that they overlook the meagre upload speeds supplied in some cases (such as worst case scenario which is Virgin's own Gig1 which currently only capable of 50mbps upload , unless obviously in area with issues like yours)

Unfortunately operators like Virgin do currently have specification limitations holding them back as cable broadband while great for delivering  high speeds to customers is not currently very adapted to 'taking' speeds from customers.

The reason for this is that the ratio of download to upload bandwidth on Virgin kits being very lopsided towards delivery of services (download) there really isn't much upload bandwidth to share amongst the local area loops connecting customers properties.

This is isolated to DOCSIS (Cable Networks) only, most other technologies in use to connect customers to the internet is much better managed and designed to lower the ration of customers to bandwidth and also physically limited to accept fixed numbers of connections rather than the rampant splitting that can and does occur across many parts of Virgin's national network.

Recently I run some number to work out how many customer it takes to saturate the available bandwidth on a localized loop of a typical Virgin network setup and this gave me an estimate that it only takes a very small proportion of a an area to bring the network to a virtual halt.

It takes between 130-180 kids learning from home to saturate the upstream bandwidth bu using a google classroom session each, this don't include the parents working from home of video conferences and remote connecting to PC's at the office. this was based on a Virgin network node that served 768 properties of which only 50% had service had service with Virgin and only 65% of them properties had 1 child at home.

As for the blame, you can of course blame Virgin but you won't get much help from them, if you wanted to look at other ISP's then they would let you go based on speed issues without any penalties (If that was a route you would consider), currently the best hope for services resuming some sort of half decent performance is just waiting it out.

I recently dropped one of my Virgin connections in favor of a slower DSL service as the upload was becoming unstable and affecting some applications in my home office, it wasn't anywhere near as bad as your own problems but enough to affect some latency sensitive operations, I went from having 350Mbps download and 36mbps upload to 50mbps down and 19mbps up and I can't say I've noticed losing the bandwidth on download and uploading now is stable like never before, I also share the connection with 2 other adults who stream Sky/BT sports constantly of a night.

As much as a read this is I hope it gives you a good idea of what broadband is about and what is important and not.

The Giggitty 1

Matt, that's really helpful and explains a lot more than the engineers at Nordvpn and Expressvpn who never once focussed on my lack of upload speed. Curiously I have found that connecting vpn to India gives me a great download and a slightly better upload speed - so I'll stay with that for now until times get back closer to normal.

Thanks again for all your help and advice.

Roger

I would make sure that you don't focus on speed of VPN to much, they're all running a bit 💩 at the moment, I'm just doing some testing on PIA with London and its not bad but its not great,

However speaking to someone behind one of my other Virgin connections the other day did show me a significant drop in bandwidth over VPN which could be bottle-necking at handover from Virgin to data centers.

The Giggitty 1

I've just asked for a test from one of the other households I have Virgin in (M100) and despite the issues they had recently with PIA London speed test its coming back all fine now.

PIA-London (24/02/21) on M100PIA-London (24/02/21) on M100

The Giggitty 1