cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very Slow Broadband

texasrancher9
Joining in

My broadband speed - which has worked well for 6 years - is so slow I can't even download an email. Average speed test says 0.14mbps. That's more than 300 times slower than my package, which I just transferred to on 24 August when renewing my contract, of 50mbps. I was on the phone twice today with the helpline and was told: we don't guarantee that you get the speed on your package. I get that. But a speed so slow that I cannot use the internet is surely not upholding the contract to provide broadband service. I was told my the customer service to post here for help. I've rebooted, reset, checked wires, and tried via ethernet cord and all have the same result. Speed is 0.14mbps. Can anyone help as it seems the folks at the phone end of the customer service team can't do a thing but clearly something is not working. I didn't change a thing except upgrade my package over the phone 2 weeks ago. Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6

bally12345
Dialled in

I thought there was a minimum speed guarantee but might be wrong. 

So what package are you actually on? 

If you are infact getting 0.14mbps there is something clearly wrong.

Try going to https://samknows.com/realspeed/ and screenshot upload here

Thank you, bally12345! I'm on the 50mb package. Thanks for the assurance that something is wrong as customer service just seemed to reprimand me for thinking this was slow and tried to convince me that this was a) normal and that b) if I wanted faster speed I needed to upgrade for £5 more a month. But I just upgraded 2 weeks ago and it's slower than the slower package.

According to the link you gave below, the speed to the Virgin Media Hub 3 is 54mbps, the speed to computer is 0.7mbps.

If someone would be able to help explain the data, I'd be really grateful! Does this mean something is wrong with the router (which is from Virgin Media, not a third party)? Thanks in advance.

To be fair I didn't know that 50mbps was still available and thought 100mbps was their lowest tier. 

Either way from what you posted sounds like the issue is with your devices rather than the Superhub 3 itself.

Personally I would suggest some basic troubleshooting and try a new ethernet cable or run Speedtest from your mobile using WiFi. 

Thank you - I'll try that and look up what to do if it's my devices (which are only about a year old each). Thanks for your time.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @texasrancher9 

I agree with @bally12345 try a different ethernet cable. Also try different ethernet ports.

Also make sure there are no local issues affecting your performance. Look at Check service status at the top of the page. You can also a run a test on your equipment from there.

If nothing is showing  you could also try the  automated Service Status number  0800 561 0061.  This often gives details of more local issues down to postcode level.

I see you've rebooted the hub, I would also try performing a factory reset of the hub if swapping the cables has made no difference..

Log into 192.168.0.1 if in router mode  then go to Admin > Reload & Reboot >  Restore default

EDIT - https://www.virginmedia.com/broadband/speeds  shows the minimum upload and download speeds to expect.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali