Menu
Highlighted
Trouble shooter
Message 11 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: VM Does Use Traffic Managment - VPN, VoIP and Hub3 issues

When you are using the VoIP does it go through the VPN ?

Has your VPN Had any updates in the last couple of months ?

Does VoIP work OK without the VPN ?

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson

Ex UK Armed Forces
Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 12 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 13 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi MikeRobbo,

No, the VoIP is just the regular Phone service that VM provides - it's a digital-only service. I don't have any other "land-line" phone service. It's all provided by VM... and provisioned via the Hub3... It's not a VPN software update issue - it does it with ANY VPN service to any endpoint IP address...

Yes, the VoIP works fine if I kill the VPN tunnel/connection.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Trouble shooter
Message 14 of 15
Flag for a moderator

I have a regular landline so don't know half of what it entails so ...

Can you manage the bit rate for the phone ?

If you run a speed test (No VPN) and you make a call can you see a drop in speed  ?

If you run a speed test (with VPN) and you make a call can you see a drop in speed  ?

Can you see anything on a BQM when you make a call with or without VPN ?

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson

Ex UK Armed Forces
Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 15 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi MikeRobbo,

Can you manage the bit rate for the phone ?

No, You cannot manage the bit rate of the phone, You might be able to hack it, but you don't any normal management of that feature.

If you run a speed test (No VPN) and you make a call can you see a drop in speed  ?

No drop in speed, no impact at all.

If you run a speed test (with VPN) and you make a call can you see a drop in speed  ?

If I connect a VPN, the bandwidth immediately drops, if I then make a call (depending on the data rate of the VPN) the incoming sound is choppy. If I'm on a call already (a clear, good sound call) and connect a VPN, the bandwidth drops and the call becomes choppy.

Can you see anything on a BQM when you make a call with or without VPN ?

I use my own fluke network meter, I'll use one of the online BQM and post the results. - Generally, Phone service and broadband should have no interaction at all - ever!