Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

VM Does Use Traffic Managment - VPN, VoIP and Hub3 issues

I have direct evidence of traffic management on my connection using with and without VPN traffic...

It was implemented by VM to protect their VoIP phone service because I reported a major flaw in their Hub3 Software when it was upgraded a while back.

I have the 500mb fibre connection with all the VM options, I should have the fastest connection available (excluding the 1Gb service). However, due to the flaw in their Hub3 firmware if you have a VPN the HUB3 cannot manage the incoming VoIP call correctly and will drop packets ONLY from the incoming data stream - the outgoing data stream is fine, so anyone on the phone will hear you fine, but you will get a choppy voice call. I had 4 engineers right up to a very senior network engineer come to tear my network apart (I have a complex setup - which runs better than theirs does!) What they found was that it is their firmware in the HUB3 that causes the issue. Prior to the software upgrade, it was fine... I'm really considering legal action because I have the evidence to show that they are using traffic monitoring and filtering on my connection. This is in clear breach of their T&C's - and in any case, they should be able to fully support VPN traffic, it is part of the normal networking protocols any suggestion otherwise is just BS.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: VM Does Use Traffic Managment - VPN, VoIP and Hub3 issues

Is tis a moan or a Public Service Announcement ?

If it is the latter maybe you should publish your 'proof' so that other users of VM Broadband can take it up with the company.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson

Ex UK Armed Forces
Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

"I have direct evidence of traffic management on my connection"
Post it then

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Trouble shooter
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

@apcyberax wrote:
"I have direct evidence of traffic management on my connection"
Post it then

Don't hold your breath.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson

Ex UK Armed Forces
Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Just as a continuation - the implications are that the new firmware in the Hub3 handles VPN data differently than the previous firmware... Which begs the question why is this? What are VM doing to treat VPN data differently to other traffic - this VoIP issue only appears when a VPN tunnel is active. Interesting, I would have thought everyone should be interested in Internet Security, why is VM not supporting security protocols?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

The proof - go and see for yourself... try it. Then complain and you will magically have an internet connection that dynamically configures the speed from 500+Mb without VPN to one that has sub 1Mb with VPN... and back again when you kill the VPN tunnel. That is traffic management in action. I can characterise the VPN connection to around 20Mb (50Mb on a really good day).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Okay - So I only have to do this once...

What evidence will you consider as acceptable? I don't want any of your BS and VM line towing answers. You should be concerned that a major ISP does not take security seriously and consistently reports that it does not support VPN traffic - WHY?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Trouble shooter
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Are you actually saying that when you use VOIP it shares some of your broadband bandwidth ?

Mike Robinson

Ex UK Armed Forces
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

any valid evidence is good. Post what you have. People will be able to test and confirm or give you reasons for it. Not every problem is always as clear as it first seems. a VPN chances the routing, CDN used and is dependant on the system on the VPN side being able o keep up (cpu and bandwidth)

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi MikeRobbo,

No, I'm not saying that the Telephony/VoIP uses Broadband bandwidth... VM provision for those services separately. However, ultimately the Hub3 has to manage the data. In the previous firmware, there was no problem - VPN worked great, phone worked great - both together... Now, due to the software update, the issue only manifests when a VPN tunnel (any VPN Tunnel) is active, which suggests that the Hub3 manages VPN data differently to other traffic - as a result, and due to a lack of testing (or a major flaw in the processing capability of the Hub3 - which is also documented) the VoIP incoming data stream is badly handled resulting in dropped packets and the sound becomes choppy... the greater the data rate over the VPN the more data is dropped on the incoming VoIP data stream and the worse the sound becomes.

0 Kudos