cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgraded speed not showing

Jayscott04
Tuning in

Hi guys

So I upgraded my broadband speed just over a week ago, from 100Mbps, to 500Mbps.

However, everytime I do a speed check, the best I get is between 150Mbps and 250Mbps. I know the upgrade has taken affect as my upload speed is much better than before and it shows on my account.lol

I've tried reseting the Hub 3 and also turning it off completely for a length of time but neither has worked. I've even used the Virgin media connect app to run some tests but it always comes back OK. 

I know it stated "speeds upto 500Mbps" but I'm not even getting half that!

Does it normally take a few weeks to get up to the speed I'm paying for? 

TIA

Regards

Jay

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Have you perhaps considered the device your testing from might not be capable of 500mb?

Can you explain how your testing the speeds?

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

10 REPLIES 10

jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Have you perhaps considered the device your testing from might not be capable of 500mb?

Can you explain how your testing the speeds?

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I've used different devices and speed testers, both WiFi and connected directly to the Hub. 

On my phone I use the speed checker recommended by Virgin. On my laptop (connected directly) I've used various speed testers, including the one Virgin recommends and "Which" recommends.

I've also tested it through my TV and my lads PC, which are also connected directly. I'm sure at least one if these should be capable of testing upto and beyond 500Mbps (but I could also be wrong)?!

Thanks

Jay

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Can you do it this way

As you expect >100Mbps then connect a 1GB enabled computer/laptop, with up to date drivers, via a NEW and working Cat5e/6a ethernet cable, directly to the Hub which you have put into “modem mode” (https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-hub-modem-mode ). This ensures that NO other devices are connected

Test speeds at https://speedtest.samknows.com/ - try on 2 different browsers.

If they are still low – boot your device into Windows safe+networking mode - to disable any potentially interfering software - and try again.

There are many posts on here (I have a list of ~30!) where QoS software, unknown/flaky software, old network card drivers, corrupted browsers, bad cables or other connected devices are limiting speeds on tests.

Report back what that gets.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thanks, I will give that a try tomorrow and let you know. 

Regards

Jay

paul_taylor
Up to speed

Can the old HUB3 even do 500mb throughput?. There is a possibility it may not.

When the HUB3 came out, the biggest package at that time was 150mb.

Hub3 on Modem mode. PFsense router, and Ubiquiti UniFi AP's with controller. Pi-Hole DNS.

jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hub 3 can go up to 600mb wired, WiFi is around 480mb

So I have tried a laptop and PC, both connected via ethernet cable, both should be capable of testing them speeds etc. Obviously not both connected at the same time.

On the laptop the best download was 128Mbps and in the PC 87Mbps.

Latency on both was 19ms and the upload speeds was around 36/38Mbps.

Now I'm no expert in computers etc but both these devices should be capable. But they are both testing way below what I'm expecting. 

Regards

Jay

UPDATE

So after several tries using the laptop, I finally got a few results of between 290Mbps and 300Mbps. A lot better than before but still no where near 500Mbps.

I'm sure 300 will be good enough but I am paying for the 500 package and only getting the 300 package. 

Another curious thing, depending on the speed tester and device, it comes back with different servers. Sometimes its razor blue in Leeds, then its something else in Manchester, then a different one in Bradford.

Regards

Jay

jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I usually test with fast.com seems quite reliable and don't have to switch servers