Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Under 100MB on 350MB packge

I've been having lower than expected speed since Saturday. I'm on the M350 package, over wifi I usually get 300MB and LAN around 400MB, however since Saturday the speeds have dropped to around 60MB via Wi-FI and around 90MB on LAN.

I've turned the wifi off and on and even done a factory reset, can anyone suggest anything before i call support?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Under 100MB on 350MB packge

have you checked all the wiring is OK and that the coax connections are all nice and tight (unplug and put back to be sure).

Also might be worth doing another reset as a pinhole reset on a Hub3 can be a bit problematic - so do it EXACTLY this way (not as the VM website says!).

With the Hub switched "on", disconnect any ethernet connections and then push in the “reset pin” with the end of a paperclip/thin nail or similar (bigger items like ball point pen ends may not press it in far enough) until you feel it at the “stop point” and hold it there firmly for a "timed" minimum of 60 seconds do NOT restart the Hub after that. Leave it 10' or so to stabilise and then your passwords/passphrase for both the Hub settings and the Wifi networks will revert to the two printed on the Hub sticker on its base/side/card.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Had the same issue for a few weeks now. I'm on M350 fibre broadband and pre-Covid-19 was getting consistently getting 350-380Mbps download speeds.
In the last few weeks the speeds have started dropping until yesterday my speeds were "pegged" at about 85Mbps throughput the day. The fact that it was the same rate at multiple times of the day suggests an enforced level of bandwidth throttling due to potential congestion. I do understand that Covid-19 is having a huge impact on home Internet traffic levels, but to drop to only 20%-25% of the bandwidth I'm paying for is not really acceptable and even less acceptable would be if VM are enforcing a max bandwidth limit at certain times of the day. Re-starting the Hub 3 router corrects the issue for a while, but then speeds start to drop again. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@h1jfg wrote:

Had the same issue for a few weeks now. I'm on M350 fibre broadband and pre-Covid-19 was getting consistently getting 350-380Mbps download speeds.
In the last few weeks the speeds have started dropping until yesterday my speeds were "pegged" at about 85Mbps throughput the day. The fact that it was the same rate at multiple times of the day suggests an enforced level of bandwidth throttling due to potential congestion. I do understand that Covid-19 is having a huge impact on home Internet traffic levels, but to drop to only 20%-25% of the bandwidth I'm paying for is not really acceptable and even less acceptable would be if VM are enforcing a max bandwidth limit at certain times of the day. Re-starting the Hub 3 router corrects the issue for a while, but then speeds start to drop again. 

Please start your own thread.

Note - there is no throttling going on

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I removed the coax connections from the wall and router then connected them again, this made no difference to the speed. 

I did the 60 second reset via the pin in the back of the router and success back to well over 300MB on LAN and Wi-Fi, thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Does the 60 second reset set the router back to its default settings?
Did you need to enter any account/password info.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for the post  Fitzy2311.

Can we please confirm if you've tried an alternative ethernet cable? 

Are you able to post your new speed test results through a wired connection directly to the Hub here for us to look at? 

Thanks, Emily.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Yes the settings where restored to default, only the wifi passkey under the router where needed to connect the devices back to wifi.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Sorry to hear about your problem @fitzy2311. I have the same problem as posted here:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/Since-the-recent-UK-wide-outage-my-M350-connection-is-onl...

Interestingly your post says 'answered' in begging of the post!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Do I need to balance an egg on a spoon while doing this too? 🤣

0 Kudos