cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unacceptably low speeds/packetloss from afternoon-evening

whisk12345
Tuning in

Hi, similar to other post, I'm in the Croydon area and seeing very slow speeds for the last 3 days (<3Mbps on 1Gb service) from about 3pm through to 11pm. I'm on ethernet and have done all the usual resets - it seems like there's a problem in Virgin's core network.

Speedtest:

virgin-slowness.png

Contrary to one of the suggestions in another thread I don't believe this has anything todo with LINX - this trace goes through virgin kit in Telehouse but nowhere near LINX:

virgin-mtr.png

Phone support seem unaware and unable to help - this is really unusable! 😞

Any chance of getting someone in Virgin's core networking team to check this out?

15 REPLIES 15

whisk12345
Tuning in
Oh, just to add - service status in my virgin media account shows no problems, phone support say nothing's wrong, but something's definitely wrong!

Si120
Joining in

We are also in the Croydon area and are experiencing exactly the same problems! My job depends on a reliable fast internet connection and at present, ours is neither of these things. There seems to be a systemic network problem here. Virgin, please stop burying your heads in the sand and sort this issue out!

Barrerayy
On our wavelength

Same issue in Croydon. I found that using a VPN gets around the issue. Without a VPN my speed tests are like 1-20mbps + packet loss. With a VPN i'm getting around 600mbps to the same server with no packet loss.

Matthew012374
Dialled in

Obviously a wide spread issue here.  Download for me is currently 4mb with a ping of 60.  Using a free VPN and get download speeds of 370mb, 30mb upload with a ping of 20......

Please make sure you call Virgin tomorrow to complain. They refused to accept that there was an area fault when I spoke to them today and explained to them that using a VPN gives me more speed which makes zero sense unless there is something wrong with the routing or peering that virgin does.

Got an engineer coming tomorrow so I hope he'll report back to Virgin that it is an area fault.

I am having similar issues.

Oddly enough my upspeed is the usual, but my down speed is crazy low.

4Mbps down instead of 500 Mbps down

whilst my up speed still hovers around 32 Mbps.

I am also experiencing increased latency issues.

In games my latency is double what it usually is.

odd

hereby some speed test results, from a different test provider than i used previously: https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/1624832103384746055

iritatedVMuser
Tuning in

I have been seeing the same issue since Thursday evening. I am getting a consistent 10% packet loss in the evenings, and all weekend (with a minor exception in the early mornings).

I have run a test on several other peoples connections, and this seems to be affecting people in Surbiton, New Malden, and Kingston too.

I also found that when I ran tests against another affected VM user, even if I went over a VPN located in another country, the packet loss was compounded to 20%, and was getting transfer speeds of around 100kb/s

What has VM broken this time? This looks like a very insincere version of throtteling so that most people wont notice that their internet is running at a crawl, just enough to let them check an email or visit youtube (which somehow seems to be working quite well). But it is impossible to do any work outside of their definition of business hours.

No word from virgin but maybe someone fixed it just before 3?

812895d7e3b344f20e762d6275d94d1944d8a762

Matthew012374
Dialled in

Just got in, did a quick speed test and things seem to be back to normal my end