Menu
Suzie6660
Joining in
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Supposedly received an upgrade but internet has been very slow lately

So roughly about 3-4 weeks ago we received a free upgrade to M200 Fibre internet but since then the speeds haven't even been going over 100Mbps and I've seen them be as low as 40Mbps. I've tried to get in contact via the phone lines but it's way too congested. The testing has been done both wired and wireless and both give pretty much the exact same results.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Re: Supposedly received an upgrade but internet has been very slow lately

Is the device you are testing on capable of receiving the higher speed?

If wired - does it have a GB NIC card that isnt limited by old drivers or software to 100? Have you tried a new Cat5e or better ethernet cable and with the Hub in modem mode?

On wifi what band are you connecting on 2.4 or 5 GHz? For example, my Macbook Air and iPhone7 both get 220mbps on my Vivid200 wifi connection (and 220 on ethernet of course). However, on wifi, they only get that speed when I put them onto the 5GHz network. Sat in the same spot if I then flick them over to the 2.4GHz network, they max out at 70-80mbps (others on here get even lower on their set ups) - it's just the limitations of the technology!

EDIT:   you do need to test speeds directly.... that's on an ethernet cable (Cat5e/6) connected to a GB enabled computer/laptop, with up to date drivers with the Hub put into modem mode.  Test at speedtest.net to your nearest VM server - try 2 different browsers. 

If they are still low – boot the device into safe+networking mode and try again. There are many posts on here where unknown software or other connected devices are limiting speeds on tests.

Report back what that gets.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos