cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Super Hub 3 slow in modem mode

LPJA
Tuning in

I have had my broadband upgraded to vivid 350 and the router to super hub 3, since then I have had poor speeds (something I am not used to with virgin).

If the SH3 is in router mode I am getting around 350mbps wired connection, as soon as I put it in modem mode and connect my Asus n66u the speeds drop to 120mbps.

Why???

I did not have any issues with my SH2 and this is the only thing that has changed.

I am getting quite frustrated with VM as when I spoke to there support team, they insinuated it was my home network and not there SH3.

I beg to differ! 

127 REPLIES 127

Sort of indicating the limits of the processor of the router. Through puts quoted are the ideal situation. So if you enable more things on the device the through put can go down due the processor being stressed.

I’d agree, sounds like an issue with Router, when I had these issues it was the sh3 that was causing all this. I bought a fairly new Asus router and it smashed my wireless, since then I’ve upgraded to a UniFi system with access points all over my house and the UniFi USG router. 

Only mistake ive made is upgrading from vidid350 to vivid500. My download speeds are pathetic most of the time since upgrading! Should have stuck with the vivid350.. always well over 350 where as now I’m lucky to hit 200.. and all I did was “upgrade” 

anyway the point is the processor and memory in the Asus router was what made the difference. I’d be looking at that spec and comparing that to routers that are proven to work well on virgin in modem mode 

Thanks for reply so which router would be best to buy for me as I do  not want to buy another router and find I've still got the same problem 

Hi, When i was on the vivid350 and had issues I upgraded to the router linked below.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-RT-AC1200G-Dual-Band-Gigabit-Wireless/dp/B01F4WOFD6/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1Z...

Now this worked perfectly fine with my sh3 in modem mode, always getting over 350mbps so you should not have any issues

Should always make sure all extra functions are off when troubleshooting throughput issues, if in doubt reset router to factory settings and set up bare minimum router, make sure not to turn on QoS, traffic management, VPN, etc. I have a few routers as I like to tinker and I don't have one that can push through more than 300Mb/s with QoS turned on, but cope easily with QoS off.

I have always found that QOS actually slows everything down quite a lot, its not worth using it to be honest

@sku11meister wrote:

I have always found that QOS actually slows everything down quite a lot, its not worth using it to be honest

Depends what you've got going on, I couldn't be without it. If I'm on a VoIP or Skype call I don't want it breaking up or going laggy when the kids come in and start streaming Netflix. 

Without QoS it's every byte for itself. With QoS they form an orderly queue with my bytes always at the front. I'm happy to sacrifice a bit of download speed for that.

But I agree, most people wouldn't need QoS on.

Thanks for reply am going to buy that asus router . Looks great for the price