cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Super Hub 3 slow in modem mode

LPJA
Tuning in

I have had my broadband upgraded to vivid 350 and the router to super hub 3, since then I have had poor speeds (something I am not used to with virgin).

If the SH3 is in router mode I am getting around 350mbps wired connection, as soon as I put it in modem mode and connect my Asus n66u the speeds drop to 120mbps.

Why???

I did not have any issues with my SH2 and this is the only thing that has changed.

I am getting quite frustrated with VM as when I spoke to there support team, they insinuated it was my home network and not there SH3.

I beg to differ! 

127 REPLIES 127

Clearly you didn't bother to read my post, I didn't spend half my day messing about with different hardware to come to that conculsion for no good reason!

radial
On our wavelength

Sorry I don't mean to come across as a dick, I'm just frustrated that the upgrade to 350 MB/s appears to be the root of this problem, I never had a single issue with any hardware when I was on Gamer 200, since the upgrade and the firmware upgrade to my SH3 this problem has started, like I said I've tried various hardware that have all worked at full negotiation speed before this upgrade, only one of which is from Netgate (the SG-1100), the other is a custom built Intel based PC with Quad Intel Gigabit NIC and the other is a portable router from a small chinese oufit... All that harware has performed flawlessly on this connection with the SH3 before the speed/firmware upgrade.

My stats from modem mode... 

8355018014.png

320 Mb down 20Mb up

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

Change the cable between hub and Netgate SG-1100 with CAT6 as another test with a switch on its own (or VLAN two ports) between hub to switch to Netgate SG-1100 and see if that links up to 1Gb.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Hi , the different speed tests you're getting from different sites, could this not be because speedtest.net uses local servers? you can actually select a different server, shows the distance and location. I know if I change mine from the one it automatically selects it reduces my speed test by quite a lot. Maybe google and other test sites only use a few servers which are much further than speedtest.net?

just throwing the idea out there 🙂

I tested using google and sopeedtest.net.. 

google was pinging to : Raleigh-Durham which is nearly 300 miles from my location, where as speed test pings Basildon (Essex) which is about 10 miles from me.. huge difference! 

google I got about 200mbps which isn't even half what I should be getting

speedtest I got my speed which was 547 mbps (im on the vivid 500 package)

Background - for the last three years I've been on the 200 service with the SH2. Over this time, I have developed my home network to use different gigabit switches, DHCP and DNS managed through PiHole, and own Linksys router with the SH2 in modem mode. My external IP address was 82.x.x.x and I knew this as I have an application running to email me if this changes as I host my own VPN server for times I may use public WiFi.

During this time I received approx 200mbps download and 15mbps upload speeds (tested with speedtest.net)

I've just upgraded from 200 to 350, and with this came the upgrade to the SH3. I went straight into setting up the SH3 into modem mode, and a week later I'm still getting the same download speeds as before, but the upload speed has increased to about 30-35mbps.

I've just spent about an hour and a half on the phone to VM - the first hour involved switching the SH3 between router mode and modem mode to run tests, and throughout being told it was my third party equipment causing the issue (which from this forum board we can see isn't the case). However, during these tests I noted that when in modem mode, by external IP was the same 82.x.x.x as before, whereas in router mode it was 77.x.x.x.

I eventually was put through to a technical team (I was advised that the first advisor had told them it was an issue with my laptop!?) who was very helpful and shed some light on this that may assist here.

Essentially, depending whether the SH3 is in modem mode or router mode, it will get it's connection from a different VM station, and in modem mode the SH3 acts as a 'sub-station'. This is why it has different external IP addresses depending on the mode. I can only deduce that the different stations are providing different download speeds, with a 'throttle' (intentional or unintentional) on the modem mode one.

In my view, this isn't great, why provide the option for modem mode for a 350 service without any form of notice to say that you won't get the full speed you are paying for. I'll be raising a complaint to VM regarding this and I'm considering options - downgrade to 200 or re-configure my network to have the SH3 in router mode but with it acting as a bridge to my Linksys router.

Hopefully this has helped shed a little more information on the why this is happening.

I did not know about this, and I have had my sh3 in modem mode and still got my speeds im supposed to, only until I upgraded to the vivid500 package, which im now starting to regret!

For weeks ive been complaining my speeds have dropped from a solid 380mbps (on the vivid350) all the way down to about 240mbps. 

occasionally a speed test just managed to peak to 500 but not before it drops back down to 200 again. I have had 3 engineers so far and networks come last week, and im told its a problem with noise and frequencies. im just waiting now for networks to fix this. never had so much hassle from upgrading a package! 

I use a dns service so I don't know what my ip number is, and it doesn't matter if it changes. but I didn't know modem mode actually changes how the signal is received. sounds dodgy to me that they would need to do that anyway? what difference does it make if its in router mode or modem mode? its still a modem in both instances?

The only thing I can think for those that haven't fully suffered from this issue is that it's only certain 'modem mode' stations that have an issue - perhaps down to the infrastructure at the station or connecting to it?

And I completely agree, modem mode or router mode, it still acts as a modem in some form or fashion, so why the big difference? (although I'm sure VM will ahve a technical rational for it).

Not great from a customer perspective though! I think I did say on the phone I felt that VM were trying to stop people using modem mode to keep the fast speed for some purpose... but I don't want to cast aspersions as to why.