Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Speedtest

Hi, I have upgraded from 150 to 200 and when I run speedtest the results are Ping 9. Download usually between 79 and 81 MBPS and Upload between 19 and 21 MBPS Should it not be faster than this? I have wireless connection.Regards JR

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Speedtest

you need to test it on a wired connection. Depending on hardware and location wireless can be slow. 70mbps on wireless is good for a lot of devices

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

HI Jrrsmith, thanks for posting. 

I'm sorry you're unhappy with the download speeds you're currently receiving.  Can I ask you to confirm the following:

Are these speed being received during peak or off peak times? Peak times being where more people are more likely to be at home.  Have you tested your speeds via an ethernet cable as @apcyberax has suggested?  I understand this may not be possible.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards

Lee_R

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I have run test first thing in morning, lunchtime and evenings, it is not possible to use cable to connect, one of my pc's is running at 2g and I have a laptop that runs on 5g, at what time do you think would be best to run test? also I understand that as @apcyberax has said I might not get much better results when running 2g. Many thanks Jr

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

it is not possible to use cable to connect

If you have a laptop surely is has an ethernet port on it?  And either you could borrow an ethernet cable from a friend or colleague, or invest as little as £1.69 to buy a short Cat 6 ethernet cable on eBay? 

Then, power down the laptop, move it close to the hub, plug the cable into the router and the hub, restart the laptop, wait for it to get its act together and load any necessary drivers, then do a speed test at Ookla? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for getting back to us Jrrsmith.

We do need to establish whether or not there is an issue with your broadband service or if it's the speeds you're receiving wirelessly. This is because we cannot guarantee our WiFi speeds.

regards

Lee_R

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Ok Thanks will give it a try.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Jrrsmith

Please do keep us updated.

Regards

Lee_R

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Lee-R,

My Laptop is Microsoft Surface so doesnt have ethernet socket, so I borrowed a Chromebook from a friend and connected it with ethernet cable. The results were even worse  Ping 8ms Download between 65 and 69 mbps and upload 19 to 21 mbps

Regards

Jrrsmith

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Jrrsmith

Thanks for confirming this.  To investigate this further I am going to send you a private message.  Please look out for the purple envelope in the top right of your screen.

Regards

Lee_R