cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed 100mbs?

Bugflanders01
Joining in

I have been using a speed checker for the past month and my connection has only reached 100 mbs on one occasion in the last month.when I brought it to Virgins attention they say there is a fault and they are working on it.

So I guess I have to test it constantly and notify Virgin but I thought Virgin were supposed to do that and guarantee the speed?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

What speed package are you on - 100 - I assume?  What Hub model do you have?

How exactly are you testing speeds?

See this

If you think that you have a BB speed problem, then to check the speeds coming in to your Hub properly, and whether they match what you should be getting, you cannot rely on wifi tests, - no BB supplier guarantees those - only speeds "TO" the Hub are guaranteed.

So, can you test speeds directly like this. Connect a suitable computer/laptop, with up to date drivers, via a NEW and working Cat5e/6a ethernet cable, directly to the Hub which you have put into “modem mode”
(https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-hub-modem-mode ).
This ensures that NO other devices are connected

Test speeds at... https://speedtest.samknows.com/ - try on 2 different browsers.

If they are still low – boot your device into safe+networking mode - to disable any potentially interfering software - and try again.

There are many posts on here (I have a list of ~30!) where QoS software, unknown/flaky software, old network card drivers, corrupted browsers, bad cables or other connected devices are limiting speeds on tests.

Report back what that gets.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

What speed package are you on - 100 - I assume?  What Hub model do you have?

How exactly are you testing speeds?

See this

If you think that you have a BB speed problem, then to check the speeds coming in to your Hub properly, and whether they match what you should be getting, you cannot rely on wifi tests, - no BB supplier guarantees those - only speeds "TO" the Hub are guaranteed.

So, can you test speeds directly like this. Connect a suitable computer/laptop, with up to date drivers, via a NEW and working Cat5e/6a ethernet cable, directly to the Hub which you have put into “modem mode”
(https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-hub-modem-mode ).
This ensures that NO other devices are connected

Test speeds at... https://speedtest.samknows.com/ - try on 2 different browsers.

If they are still low – boot your device into safe+networking mode - to disable any potentially interfering software - and try again.

There are many posts on here (I have a list of ~30!) where QoS software, unknown/flaky software, old network card drivers, corrupted browsers, bad cables or other connected devices are limiting speeds on tests.

Report back what that gets.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thanks John, I appreciate your info. I do not have a computer and I am sitting next to the hub when j am using the internet. I have recorded varying speeds from .08 to 107 mbs over the month. Even if the apps aren't the best or most accurate method of testing speed, surely the signal should be closer to 100 on most occasions? Upload is constant at 10.2. 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
What Hub model is it - if a Hub 3 try the below.

And how are you testing speeds? - App or browser? If App do it on a browser. Is that on n the 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz band?

On what device?

If you haven't done this already - try it first - it helps sort some Hub3/4/5 wifi issues for some devices.
Go into the Hub’s settings. Type in  http://192.168.0.1  into your web browser’s url box and login with settings password on the Hub's base sticker (or your own if you changed it). Then in Advanced>wireless signal >smart wifi - tick the disable “channel optimisation” box or “Smart Wifi” box and save settings.  May be different pathways and wording on the 3 Hub types
Then, go to advanced>wireless signal>security, rename the 2.4 & 5 GHz network ssid's.  Just type over to change 'em to whatever you like and something that will differentiate them (e.g - Billybob2 & Billybob5) Try to avoid spaces and periods in the SSID names as they can cause issues with certain devices. Use the same password for simplicity,  Then, apply settings and restart the Hub.  Your 2 wifi networks will now be clearly separated - and you can then select the network you want each device to connect to… individually from the "available networks" list on each of your devices. 

Note all your wifi devices will need re-connecting to the new SSID's and passwords.
All things being equal, 5 GHz is always better/faster and subject to less congestion/interference (and is better for iDevice speeds than the 2.4 one - although the 2.4 one has the better "range" and will be needed when the 5 GHz drops out of range and some older/cheaper/dumber devices can only use this one. 

You should also use a wifi analyser App (or Airport Utility on iOS) to check which 2.4 channels are being heavily used around you and move yours to one of numbers 1,6,11 that is least so, but it wont help if there is other interference.

See if these changes help - you will lose any “seamless roaming” benefits but it may not matter and you can always change the settings back by doing a " pinhole factory reset " if you prefer the way it was - or it doesn’t help.

--------------------
John
--------------------

Brilliant help John, thanks very much. I will try your suggestions but I am a bit of noobie so it may take a while. Thanks again.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@Bugflanders01 wrote:

So I guess I have to test it constantly and notify Virgin but I thought Virgin were supposed to do that and guarantee the speed?

VM do that on 1Gb and its causes ping spikes mostly every hour.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Hi @Bugflanders01,

Thank you for your posts and welcome to our community forums. We're here to help.

I'm so sorry to hear that you've been experiencing some issues with your connection speeds recently. I've checked over things on our systems and I'm unable to find any known faults currently that would be impacting the line. Is this problem ongoing for you today?

If it is, has the advice that's been provided by the other members of the community thus far helped at all?

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!