Menu
Davendor
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Slower than dial up

Poole area.

Since Saturday morning my M100 package has only been able to achieve 0.61Mbps download 9Mbps Upload wired. My wifi just doesn't work. 

Getting no proper answers from Virgin - service checker first says no issues and then when I run a test it either crashes or says their servers are down. Twitter team not helpful except when I asked how many days of slow internet until I can cancel my contract. Called up (nightmare), level 1 technician getting me to reset the hub yet again and also resetting it himself, didn't work. Second level technician told me there was a fault but it had only just been reported - gave me the 0800 number so I can sign up for text updates. 0800 says there is a fault but for all I know it always says that. 

I know I'm not the only one with this issue recently and the lack of info/transparency from Virgin is unacceptable. 

Have they actually fixed this for anyone else??

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slower than dial up

If that's 0800 561 0061 - it usually gives the most up to date info. and tells you of more local issues down to postcode level. for multiple customers.  If its just affecting you it wont report anything and you will have to call it in.   What is it reporting?

So, if it says there is an issue - then there is and they are working to fix it. Is there an estimated fix date/time? have you asked your neighbours connected on the same street cabinet, whether they are still having problems too?

It has always has a fix time when I have had the need to call it - what additional transparency are you looking for?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Davendor
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

It's nice that you've always had a good experience but not everyone does.

I was given 1 time estimate on the phone that wasn't met and then no further time estimates. No text updates. The 0800 number message told me there was an issue and it's proving a little hard to fix.

We are still in a pandemic so I won't be asking my neighbours- that's irresponsible. All I had to do was look online (4g) and that's how I knew it wasn't just me. 

This time they really dropped the info ball. 

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

So there is an issue that the engineers are finding more complicated to fix than first thought. Doesn't that happen occasionally with everything?

For example... Car fails MOT for some reason - needs a part - they order it but then its out of their hands into that of the supplier and they cant give an accurate timescale to get it done. Same if there is a power cut, water pipe burst, etc.

There is no Service Level Agreement on a residential package - if you want guaranteed fix times you need to move to a Business package - which has an SLA.

You could try doing what we and many others do and ask the neighbours on a neighbourhood Whatsapp or Facebook group too. That's good for close neighbours all on one street Cab. But you already know its more widespread than that so no point in this case.

That said, your are correct that their transmission of updated info for downtime issues could be better!

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Megan_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Davendor,

Thanks for using the forums to get this speed issue looked into with your broadband, I am sorry if it’s been causing you some frustration. 

I'd like to ask for a bit more information so we can understand your specific issue like, does this problem occur on Ethernet connected PC’s/Consoles as well as WIFI devices?
Does the hub start to show other lights when the connection issue occurs?

What speed test site are you using to test the speed? Our site here - Speed Test - is reliable 🙂
Also we may need you to use a BMQ graph to gain more of an insight into your HUB's performance, this needs to stay active for 24 hours so we can see a good chunk of activity. We also may need to you reboot your HUB so that the data on the HUB's logs can reset, this helps the performance and also helps us identify any issues on our side. 
Please let me know what you find out after following these steps!
Thanks,
Megan_L

0 Kudos
vmrunreliable
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

The title of your post is misleading, it states that your connection is slower than dial up yet in your post you state that you're getting ~0.61 Mb/s. Dial up isn't anywhere near 0.61Mb/s

If you want help, try to provide accurate information.

0 Kudos