cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow internet and lagging

samcowie
On our wavelength

Hi everyone,

Creating a new thread as I am still experiencing slow internet in the evenings/weekends/random times throughout the day.

Unfortunately, we are still experiencing lag spikes and freezing whilst gaming or streaming. It has been unusable for us at times which is incredibly frustrating... 

We have tried:

• Turning off unnecessary devices to improve the speed router.
  • Moving devices closer to the router.
  • Make sure nothing is blocking the router and it is located in a good place.
  • Connecting devices with an ethernet cable rather than go through wifi. 

In the previous thread that I posted a Virgin media employee called out an engineer and they installed a signal booster on the line as our house was far from the exchange box which has improved the reported download speed for a while but still getting spikes where it is unusable. 

Can anyone give any help or guidance? 

Thanks in advance.  

Link to the previous post: https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/slow-internet-in-the-evening/m-p/4825957#M278941

5 REPLIES 5

samcowie
On our wavelength

BQM: 

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/af536ab6da0f5f40d71900dd576eacabb405e227

samcowie
On our wavelength

samcowie_0-1641818488920.png

Incredibly slow all weekend and the download/upload speed has been really poor... Honestly don't know what to do 

samcowie
On our wavelength

Another night from around 8pm where the connection suddenly gets worse and get lag which makes online gaming impossible. No extra strain on my network as far as I can tell. 

is there a way to monitor traffic on my network to ensure I don’t have a device that is using up all the bandwidth in the evenings? 

Thanks

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@samcowie wrote:

Another night from around 8pm where the connection suddenly gets worse and get lag which makes online gaming impossible. <snip>

Do not double post.  It make is very hard to keep track of your thread.

Try checking with Area faults on 0800 561 0061 or if you have a VM landline 150 as small area faults are not listed on the VM status page.

Try a full 60 second factory reset as below;

Remove any ethernet cables from the Hub and hold the pinhole reset switch for 60 seconds. Do NOT reboot the Hub, just let it do it's thing. Note you will need the passwords from the bottom of the Hub afterwards, so make sure they are legible.

Once done, post your power levels, Pre and PostRS errors and Network log.  Do not use screenshots, just copy and paste the text.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hey @samcowie,

I have picked your post up on the other thread and responded, please can we carry on via that thread?

Regards,

Steven_L