Menu
Yonfroy
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Slow download, high latency & packet loss

Hi, I've been experiencing slow internet speeds for about a week now and decided to phone virgin media. They said a data tap had been placed on my account due to over-usage and told me to either wait until the 16th or June or upgrade.

I upgraded to the M200 package but my network connection is worse than ever. I can barely get over 5mbps download, the data tap has been removed and an engineer said the router is all fine. I suspect over-utilization since the problem seems to fade in the very early morning up until 12:30 pm.

Here's my BMQ:

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/3163bd2614ea15af6eac4da881327502ade015c3

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Slow download, high latency & packet loss

There is no "data tap" on VM BB - you were misinformed. The BQM looks awful and smacks of an overutilisation issue - which comes with ever changing estimated fix dates 😞

You were also mis-sold an upgrade - IMO.

I will ask VM to come here and comment

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Laurie_C
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Yonfroy.

Thanks for getting in touch and welcome to the Community Forum! I'm really sorry that you're having some issues with your broadband connection.

As @jbrennand has kindly highlighted, we don't have any 'data taps' - I do apologise for this misinformation, I'm not sure what our advisor is referring to.

I haven't been able to locate your account using your Forum details, so I'll just need to confirm some details with you via Private Message. Please look out for a purple envelope in the top right corner of your screen.

Kind regards,

Laurie

Laurie_C
Forum Team
0 Kudos
Yonfroy
Joining in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

It really is as I feared then, the upgrade itself was only a pound which didn't really matter. I'll try to speak to Virgin Media about it but thankfully I am not on a contract so I can switch ISPs whenever I feel.

Thank you both for the swift responses.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Reply to Laurie_C's private message - she is the VM you want to speak to !

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Laurie_C
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Yonfroy,

Thanks for confirming those details via Private Message. I can see that you've recently spoken with one of our customer care advisors, and that an engineer appointment has been booked for you. Please let me know how the appointment goes, and if you need any further help, just give us a shout!

Kind regards,

Laurie

Laurie_C
Forum Team
0 Kudos