cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow broadband speed

PhilT16
Tuning in

Transferred to virgin in April on a Gig broadband service…. Am yet to see my speed go above 500.  Most of the time it flutters from anywhere as low as 15mbps upto around 400 max on a good day.

Was expecting more to be honest. Have called a few times and each time something was done to improve it but still the same,  very inconsistent. I have 2 boosters already in place and haven't seen any improvement.

literally sat in front of my Hub 4 and it’s still only reading 350mbps. No different using an Ethernet cable either…

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey @PhilT16,

Welcome to the community and thanks for taking the time to post your issue on the forums.

I'm really sorry that the connection hasn't yet lived up to your expectations, I hope that we can get that changed for you, I have looked further into your issues and can see that your downstream power levels are too low and we would need to book in a technician appointment for you.

I can arrange the appointment from here but would need to confirm a few details via a private message, that I will drop over in a moment.
Please look out for the private message and we can get started.
Regards,
Steven_L

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

2 REPLIES 2

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

If you're measuring speed on a wireless device, then speeds in the range 140-550 sounds normal due to the 802.11ac technology the Hub 4 uses.  Speed will vary with the device itself, the band it connects on, and fall off with distance, through walls etc. You'd be unlikely to see faster than 600 Mbps over wifi with a Hub 4 even if all possible circumstances are optimal.

You'd need premium Wifi 6 devices and a Wifi 6 router/mesh system to see speeds approaching 1 Gbps (assuming that there's no cable connection problem underling), and VM currently don't have a Wifi 6 capable hub that operates at 1 Gbps, although work continues to address that.

EDIT: The only reliable way of testing your broadband speed is to use a device connected by an ethernet cable,  but if you're seeing similar low speeds you need to try the following:  Connect to the hub by clicking on this link http://192.168.0.1/  That should pull up the log in page for the hub.  But don't log in, just click on the link "Check router status"  That'll bring up a window with five tabs.  Open the Downstream tab.  Select all the text (Ctrl-A if using a keyboard), copy it (Ctrl-C), then paste it (Ctrl-V) into a reply here as TEXT not screenshots.  Post that, do the same for the Upstream and Network log.  You'll get an error message when you post the Network log, just click on "post" a second time.  Then we can check for any obvious problems with power, noise or error counts.

Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey @PhilT16,

Welcome to the community and thanks for taking the time to post your issue on the forums.

I'm really sorry that the connection hasn't yet lived up to your expectations, I hope that we can get that changed for you, I have looked further into your issues and can see that your downstream power levels are too low and we would need to book in a technician appointment for you.

I can arrange the appointment from here but would need to confirm a few details via a private message, that I will drop over in a moment.
Please look out for the private message and we can get started.
Regards,
Steven_L