Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Slow Speed on Windows 10

I seem to be experiencing slow download speeds when using windows computers. 

On my desktop I use a wired connection direct from the Hub 3.0 router and my download speed is always between 100mb - 200mb (I have 500mb package) and with my two windows laptop using wireless I am experiencing the same issues. 

However on my 2017 MacBook Air I get about 450 - 480mb, 400+ on my iPhone and even 250mb on a 4 year old iPad. 

Seems to me that this seems to be an issue with windows and no issues with apple. 

Is anyone experienced any slow speed issues on windows PCs.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Rising star
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow Speed on Windows 10

I would imagine the Apple devices are accessing the network on the 5 GHz band and so can obtain the highest speeds.

What band are the Windows laptops connecting to 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz?

The wired Windows desktop could be many possible issues. Simplest to begin with would be trying to swap the network cable for another one (a good quality Cat 5e or Cat 6 cable should be fine) to see if that makes any difference and/or drivers for the network adapter.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I have tried both wired and wireless on the laptops and it around the same speeds.

As for the wired speed on the PC, I have a 1gbs built in ethernet port and had a Cat 6 cable. I have since tried a new network card and also bought a Cat 8 ethernet cable (excessive I know) but still experiencing roughly the same speeds.

Never really thought about checking the band speed on the laptops, (they are work laptops so not to bother about the speed there) 😉 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Rising star
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

If you log into the hub 3 and go to 'Connected devices' when you have the clients switched on you should be able to see link speeds and the band for the wireless laptop connections. A work/business laptop may have 5 GHz capability but you may need to set that as a preferred connection on the laptop otherwise it may just pick the strongest signal from 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz. You should also be able to confirm the desktop link speed too in the hub interface.

Have you tried the Windows desktop speed test in safe mode with networking for ethernet only (with any wireless adapter in the desktop disabled)?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Checked the router settings and the windows laptops are using the 5g network, as for the PC, in safe mode I got 370Mb so a vast improvement so I do wonder what is causing such a drop in speed (there is no wireless adapter connected)

I had a look to see what rouge program may be using the most data but nothing out of the ordinary. 

Might just take the nuclear option and go for a fresh re-boot and see if that improves things.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Rising star
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Well that's progress, of sorts!

The usual software suspects are things like third-party internet security and anti-virus type of programs. Also, worth looking at any unnecessary manufacturer-installed 'helper'/bloatware programs which often run in the background. Some network adapters come with additional network management programs which can often be more hinderance than help for a domestic PC.

Also, worth checking the manufacturer website for your particular model of PC to see if there are any model-specific known issues or updates to do with the networking side of things.

If you are making any significant changes while investigating the problem, it's always worth making sure you have a good verified backup of the PC you can recover from just in case things go wrong!

Sounds like it is one of those annoying problems you might just have to keep chipping away at until you crack it. Hope you eventually manage to get it sorted.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Yeh my go to browser is Firefox and after testing Edge it did improve speeds by about 50mb. I am currently using mcafee total protection for anti-virus (had a special offer but coming to an end soon) I'm guessing that this may be the culprit so prob next thing to try will be uninstall this and see what happens.

I do have back ups and can do a windows 10 refresh, keeping personal files so there is always that as a last option.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Up to speed
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi I just saw this thread and have had similar problems before but have been able to fix them by firstly running updates, secondly reinstalling drivers for network interface cards, the third option is doing a complete factory reset and reinstalling all drivers and software, you do need to have all licence keys for software and not windows present as windows is stored to your Microsoft account assuming you are on windows 10 and not an obsolete OS.
Its worth mentioning that if you are using an ASUS laptop (i'm not sure if you are please specify the make and model) this issue is common if the OS is upgraded from windows 8 or 8.1.
You may also be experiencing the issue because of a windows update that came out recently that causes throttling go to task manager and see how high your usage is when you run a test. Also if you haven't tried download the speedtest app on the Microsoft store as this generally brings more accurate results as PC limitations are less of an issue but if your processor usage is maxing out when you are testing it is higher likely that you have a pc that is not powerful enough to maximise your bandwidth.
could you send over what specs you also have as Macs are generally more powerful than windows Pc's in terms of networking but im not going to explain myself as things will get complex.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Rising star
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@scotsy2034 wrote:

Yeh my go to browser is Firefox and after testing Edge it did improve speeds by about 50mb. I am currently using mcafee total protection for anti-virus (had a special offer but coming to an end soon) I'm guessing that this may be the culprit so prob next thing to try will be uninstall this and see what happens.

I do have back ups and can do a windows 10 refresh, keeping personal files so there is always that as a last option.

Haven't had to deal with McAfee for a very long time but that would be my first route for investigation before going anywhere near reinstalling W10 etc. Not sure but I seem to remember that actually removing McAfee is not as simple as just ... removing McAfee! If I am remembering correctly, a strong essence-of-McAfee still remains embedded throughout the OS even after uninstallation (requiring the use of a McAfee removal tool)! Might be wrong and could be mixing up with another program.

Is there an option to suspend McAfee functions temporarily while the PC is running normally and test with it suspended?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

PC Specs:
Intel Core i3 - 2100 3.10 GHz (upgrading this at somepoint) as do think this may be a factor as well.
8GB DDR 3 Ram
Nvidia GeForce GT 630 

Network card is brand new, bought a new one thinking that there was an issue with the one built into the motherboard so no issues there.

I haven't heard about windows updates throttling, as for speed test the CPU did jump to about 55% utilisation when running the test.
I just downloaded the speed test app as you suggested and this gave me a result of 545mb download (my cap is meant to be 500Mb lol, so basically using a browser and you lose 350mb download speed. 

I normally use firefox but ran a test on Edge (which gave about 200mb) and Opera gave about 160mb.