Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Slow Download speeds

I upgraded from M100 to M350 broadband last Thursday. 

The engineer told me I was averaging out around 262Mbps.

However since Last Thursday I have not found any increase in speed, I have ran numerous Speedtests and last I was averaging 112Mbps, but as of today i'm getting around 40Mbps.

Upload speed for all tests has consistantly been about 50Mbps.

Is there anything I can do to increase the download speed?

According the terms Virgin state they won't throttle your speed on M350 line.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Slow Download speeds

Firstly, If you think that you have a BB speed problem, then to check the speeds coming in to your Hub properly, and whether they match what you should be getting, you cannot rely on wifi tests,

So if your tests are wifi then you need to do it this way.

Make sure your device has a gigabit network card (not a 10/100 one or “limited to that) and has the up to date drivers. Use a new Cat6 ethernet cable (old ones do "fail" and Cat6 is best) to connect it directly to the Hub - which you have put into modem mode (to ensure only your device is connected). Check speeds like that first.
If they are still low - then, boot up your device into "safe mode with networking" (to disable any software on it that could be limiting speeds). Run the tests at speedtest.net (try on x2 VM servers) on 2 different browsers one of which is a fresh download of one you haven’t previously used (e.g. Firefox, Opera, Safari etc - there are several reports on here of certain browsers causing speed issues).
Try that and report back what you get.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Tuning in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, you were right. Direct Ethernet connection and download speed rocketed to nearly 400.

I guess I just expected a little from my wi-fi, even on 5Ghz on my phone it barely touches 100 download.

Thanks for your help

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

It may a combination of things. For example, my Macbook Air and iPhone7 both get 220mbps on my Vivid200 wifi connection - but only when I put them onto the 5GHz network. Sat in the same spot if I then flick them over to the 2.4GHz network, they max out at 70-80mbps - it's just the limitations of the technology!

So you could try this on the Hub3 if you havent already.
Access your Hub settings - (go to http://192.168.0.1 your browser) and navigate to “smart wifi” and then tick the disable “channel optimisation” box and save settings.
After doing that - go in to advanced>wireless>security, and just overwrite/rename the 2.4 & 5 GHz network ssid's (just change 'em to something like ... xxxxx2 & xxxxx5) use the same password for both, save settings and restart Hub.

Over wifi you can then individually select the network that you want each device to connect to from its list of available networks. The 5GHz will give you the fastest speeds - although its "range" is less.

See if that helps if not or you dont like the loss of "seamless roaming", you can always reset it all back with a pinhole reset of the Hub.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos