cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Download Speed: VM SuperHub 4 on Gig1

DistortedVision
Joining in

A Virgin Media engineer visited my property after I reported slow download speeds. He diagnosed noise on my connection and reterminated the coaxial cable entering my house and the cable entering the SuperHub 4. He also moved my connection on to a different tap. He tested the connection before leaving and it was: 800Mbit/s & 50 Mbit/s.

I tested the connection using Speedtest.net before he left and it reported 500Mbit/s. He said I needed to check the settings in my Netgear Nighthawk R7800 router. I'm unable to make any changes which improve the speed.

I switched the SuperHub 4 back into router mode and tested with SamKnows RealSpeed and Speedtest.net.

According to SamKnows the connection is 1Gbit/s. But why I am only get 500Mbit/s on all my PCs which are connected by Cat5e cable not WiFi? I was previously getting 1Gbit/s on all my wired PCs. 

I cannot work out what has happened. Very frustrating.
Can anyone help please?

screenshot_965.pngscreenshot_967.png

10 REPLIES 10

jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Are you doing a wired connection directly from hub to a computer with nothing else in-between when doing the samonows test?

Have you tried disabling QOS on your netgear?

Yes Cat5e cable directly from the PC to SuperHub 4.

Tried disabling QoS but can't work out how to do it. This isn't causing the issue as the Netgear router is eliminated when tested with SamKnows.

screenshot_967.png

Wondering if there are any changes in the SuperHub 4 settings I can make.

Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey @DistortedVision,

Welcome back to the community and thanks for taking the time to post.
I can see on our system that you have been able to get another technician visit booked in for this to be investigated.

Please let us know, how this visit goes and if you have any further issues.

Regards,

Steven_L

I'd suggest setting the bandwidth manually (1140Mbps down, 54Mbps up) to see if that helps.

Keep in mind, however, that you won't see more than 940Mbps due to the 1Gbps ethernet ports.

Engineer visited today. He checked the power levels and everything is fine.

The only other thing I can think of is the ethernet cables I'm using: Belkin Cat5 FastCat. Its rated at 1Mbit/s but this could be a bottleneck. 
Considering trying at Cat6 or Cat8 cable.

Hi @DistortedVision,

Thank you for coming back to us and keeping us updated on your situation and technician appointment. 

Swapping out Ethernet cables would be a good way to check if that was the reason for your slow speeds if everything at the appointment was in place. Please update us on how you get on after you order your new Ethernet cable and let us know if this has made a difference.

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Upgrading the CAT5E to CAT8 resolved the issue.

unnamed.png

Seems like VM had someone make the firmware do something on the ethernet check that results in poor speed which should not be done!

---------------------------------------------------------------