cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reporting A Fault

Fatbloke36
Tuning in

How do you report a fault without spending over an hour on hold on the phone?

I have a red light on my Hub 3.0, and have tried all the usual fixes (powering it off for 5 minutes, rebooting it, checking all connections are tight), all to no avail. My internet connection is quite sporadic at times, but when I run a test on the equipment it reports that everything is ok. Some of my TV channels are very pixellated, but if I switch to the HD version of the channel, that seems to be ok. 

I have searched on this website, but cannot find anyway of reporting this fault, other than ringing in. Can anybody help?

9 REPLIES 9

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @Fatbloke36 

The quickest way to report a fault is by calling 150 from a Virgin landline or mobile, or 0345 454 1111, option 2 (Faults

When calling Faults you will hear the automated response asking you to press 1 for the link to online support etc

Ignore all the options and don't press any buttons then you should be placed into a queue and an agent should pick up the phone and book the tech for you.

If you don't want to be tied up on the phone you could also  you can text VM on 0753 305 1809 or speak to the team on WhatsApp on 0730 532 7112.This often takes 4-6 hours- phone calls take priority.

Or wait a day or two and a member of the Forum Team should pick this up

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Portery
Fibre optic
  • Red light on hub

The red light light can pop up on a number of occasions.   Depending on the age of the hub eventually white light can fail and red becomes default.

Checks you can do.

Make sure all the cable are secure on the hub or splitter.

Do a simple reboot switch off at the mains for 15 sec and switch on give at least 15 for the reboot to preform.

Is the hub hot when you touch it .

Your Hub works best when it is out in the open. By keeping it out of cabinets, next to TV’s rather than behind them and away from fish tanks, this will allow the hub’s signal to cover a greater area and provide a better WiFi connection. Virgin recommended not keeping your hub too close to cordless gadgets, such as wireless speakers, baby monitors and cordless phones as these can interfere with WiFi. Allow at least a metre of clearance for best performance.

It's also important to keep your Hub 3 upright, with its light facing out towards the room. This means that the signal travels out into the room, and not into the floor.

Do a check on the service checker to see if there is a fault in the area https://www.virginmedia.com/help/service-status   If you have 3 green ticks click on still having issues and guide yourself through the self help.

I have checked all the connections, I have powered off for 5 minutes, and restarted. The hub is warm but not hot, it is out in the open in my hallway, nowhere near any hot equipment, or hidden by any equipment. The hub sits upright on top of a sideboard, facing outwards. I’ve been through all the self help steps I can find, but still faulty and intermittent service, and a red light. I just want to speak to someone without wasting an hour of my life on hold.

@Fatbloke36 wrote:

I have checked all the connections, I have powered off for 5 minutes, and restarted. The hub is warm but not hot, it is out in the open in my hallway, nowhere near any hot equipment, or hidden by any equipment. The hub sits upright on top of a sideboard, facing outwards. I’ve been through all the self help steps I can find, but still faulty and intermittent service, and a red light. I just want to speak to someone without wasting an hour of my life on hold.

Just out of interest what reason do you think you are on hold?

Based on the answer to the above what reason do you think you can get through to someone quicker?

Honestly interested in a reasonable answer.

I was looking for a solution, not an argument!! But to answer your sarcastically worded question, quite often companies have people in support departments, that just deal with online questions, as they are able to deal with multiple queries at the same time, thus taking some of the workload off of the people who are obviously very busy answering phones.

@Fatbloke36 wrote:

I was looking for a solution, not an argument!! But to answer your sarcastically worded question, quite often companies have people in support departments, that just deal with online questions, as they are able to deal with multiple queries at the same time, thus taking some of the workload off of the people who are obviously very busy answering phones.

You will get a reponse on here, however, ironically, it can take several days.

Reece_MH
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi there 👋

Thanks for your post, and a warm welcome to our Community Forums.

I'm sorry to hear you're facing problems with your service, and are seeing a red light on your Hub. I've taken a look on our side and can see your Hub has been online for more than 5 days.

Can you please try the following, as this should clear up the light you are seeing:
• Turn the power switch off on the back of the Hub.

• Ensure the Hub is upright, in a well-ventilated location, and, if at all possible, out of direct sunlight.

• Then use the power switch to turn the unit back on. The Hub should now operate normally and the red light should clear.

In regard to the TV issues you're facing, is this just on Live TV, or On Demand and Apps as well? Do you see any error codes popping up on your TV box?

Thanks,

Reece - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our FAQ

• Reece

As mentioned in my previous posts, the router stands upright, on its own, in my hallway, with nothing around it, and the lights facing away from the wall. I have powered the unit down for over 15 minutes, and powered it back up again, but still the red light is showing.

As for the pixelated picture, this happens on live tv, I rarely use on demand or any apps, and there are no error messages 

Thank you for that information. We will likely need to get an engineer out now to investigate this. 

I will private message you now to confirm your details. 

^Martin