Menu
Fibre optic
Message 11 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: Reduced WiFi speed after upgrade from 350 to 550

Since this is a Mac the first question of interest is if your 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz networks have the same SSID?

If they do, then it's likely that's the issue due to how MacOS behaves.

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 12 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi,
I was only using the MAC as a starting point as it is right next to the Hub3 and I can either check the speed into the property by using a LAN connection which is 550 Mbps or connect through wifi which earlier had a 548 Mbps connection.
Now go to the other end of the house to the living area (so to speak) - the speed drops off dramatically as we only have iPads & iPhones to connect through wifi. Obviously LAN is no good.
Before when we had the 350 Mbps speed, the wifi speed in that area was always above 50 Mbps and generally over 100 Mbps too.
Now with the increase to 550 Mbps the recorded speed has dropped to @10 Mbps and it never gets much above this speed at anytime.
That was my question - why the dramatic fall when it should have increased albeit slightly.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 13 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Your connection is 500  virgin do not offer a 550 package.  Anything over 500 is a bonus. Please bare this in mind during your tests.

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 14 of 17
Flag for a moderator

The answer to the drop out  in speed was answered in my previous post in regards to Wi-Fi drown out. 

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 15 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi - first off, you are correct about the speed.

It is M500 whereas I must have read it could be an average of 550 Mbps.

Technically - that is the only point you have answered as you keep mentioning the MAC.

AND as I have said, I only used the MAC as a benchmark as it is next to the Hub3 - in the same room and that was purely for info.

I want to know why the dramatic fall off in the wifi speed compared to the range of the 350 Mbps we had previously towards the other end of the house.

As you also mentioned and I updated previously - I do not have range extenders either.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 16 of 17
Flag for a moderator

I'm not sure what you mean by constantly mentioning your Mac, more than 1 person is responding on this post and I haven't discussed your equipment. To answer your wifi question here is what I wrote to you earlier.

: Reduced WiFi speed after upgrade from 350 to 550

You'll probably find its more to do with Wi-Fi drown out  as more people are now home and using home electrical goods that all run on  the same air space as 2.4Ghz as its an unregulated airspace. Your Wi-Fi coverage has probably constricted. You can attempt to change your wifi channel to a less congested channel bit in all truth as things stand just now the air space o  the 2.4Ghz frequency will be jammed on all Channels and speed at distance will be reduced for most people. This is not an issue with your service but simply how Wi-Fi works and the current situation with people being at home more and the airwaves being fuller.

Andy,  Field Technician working from home.

0 Kudos
Superfast
Message 17 of 17
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Will point out that bonding the 2.4 GHz channels to 40MHz just makes the congestion even worse and is not recommended practice since you then take up 2/3rd of the channels with a single device.

Better to ensure your devices are working on the 5GHz spectrum which has more channels and less congestion. Can also change the 5GHz channel to a DFS channel which the Super Hubs will not use by default (if using 80MHz channel bonding they all use the same channel automatically). Chances are if you set 5GHz to a high channel no one will be using it.

0 Kudos