cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recent updated to 200Meg Slower than before. 67down and 0.51 up

urbanbumpkin
Dialled in

I've recently upgraded from 100 Meg to 200meg broadband. I'm currently getting 67down and 0.51 up. I've rebooted the router on a number of occasions but it's still the same speed.

Any suggestions?

15 REPLIES 15

Yes it is via wired connection connected via the ethernet from the router into the laptop. I've done some more today 06/04/22 at the below times

11:56 94.77 down 

12:00 94.80 down

14:11 94.51 down

up speed is fairly consistent at 20meg

Occasionally in the evening I can get speeds close to 200 down at approx 7-8pm. This is on a wireless connection, so I don't think it's either the wifi or the router that's causing the issue

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
A download speed of just under 100 is usually diagnostic of one or two things that are limiting your speed.

Ethernet cables can and do "fail" and when a Cat5e/6/7/8 does it usually drops to a 100 connection (Cat4/5 are only getting ~100 anyway) - so change to a new Cat6a cable (has better shielding).

Also network cards can sometimes default to 100Mbps rather than 1GB - look in the network settings that it is connecting at 1GB.

Also check the NIC card drivers are up to date.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Cheers John

Just to confirm I have swapped the ethernet for a couple of others (on of them a cat 6 and am getting the same results.

WIFI is pretty good, I've repeated the tests and got just over 109 down. I'm not sure about how to check the NiC, but if it was this it wouldn't explain why I have been able to get 200 down on occasions on the same device.

I thought it may be the case that there's throttling on the network at different times of the day

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

VM dont throttle. Can you test the speeds exactly like this...

Connect a 1GB enabled computer/laptop, with up to date drivers, via a NEW and working Cat5e/6a ethernet cable, directly to the Hub which you have put into “modem mode” (https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-hub-modem-mode ).
This ensures that NO other devices are connected

Test speeds at https://speedtest.samknows.com/ - try on 2 different browsers.

If they are still low – boot your device into Windows safe+networking mode - to disable any potentially interfering software - and try again.

There are many posts on here (I have a list of ~30!) where QoS software, unknown/flaky software, antivirus, old network card drivers, corrupted browsers, bad cables, Dell's SmartByte,  or other connected devices are limiting speeds on tests.

Report back what that gets.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thanks for this John

I put the router into modem mode connected the Ethernet into port one of the hub and couldn't connect to the internet at all. I tried the other 3 ports and still exactly the same thing.

Is there something fundamentally wrong I'm doing to fail at the first hurdle? 

Just before doing this I was getting 130 down

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Put the Hub into modem mode with all ethernet cables disconnected. When it comes back up. then the first device you connect, on any port, will be the only one that works. I am guessing you left summat connected to the Hub on ethernet and that was then using the "live" port - so nothing else you plug in would work on any other port

--------------------
John
--------------------