So I upgraded this week to the new Gig1 service. Received the router in the post and the process was easy enough.
Problem is that I am not seeing 1GBps speeds. The SamKnows router test is showing 1085, but this speed is not being seen on normal speedtests.
I have tried just to run the router in Modem mode connected by Ethernet to just one laptop (with Gigabyte adaptor) and getting max up to 450mb. WIFI also maxs out at same source of level.
Virgin did send an engineer round, he said there was nothing wrong with the line, and that it was because the 1GB was being shared around all the devices. I pointed out that in this test case there was just one device using the bandwidth, so this would not be the case.
I rang back in and spoke to 2nd level support who were going to put a trace on the router for a couple of days to monitor it's performance.
So question is should I be seeing such a drop off in speed and what can I do about it. Is it possible that the router is faulty? I have seen speed tests online over 900mb.
"Bumping" doesn't work in the conventional sense in these forums - the idea is that we (other customers with time on our hands and hearts of gold) pitch in first and deal with issues that VM can't or won't (eg wifi setup or device issues), we provide general advice on everything to complaints, installation and accounts management, and to a degree we triage technical complaints that VM will have to deal with. VM's forum staff are most helpful, but they aren't here to respond to the latest reply, and generally focus on longer standing unresolved issues. So you could still get lucky and get a response soon, but as a general rule bumping pushes you to the back of the queue, not the front.
And in this case, I suspect the reason you've got no responses is because you're an early adopter - I've no experience of the Hub 4 or the Gig1 service, so I'm in no position to comment about the issues you're experiencing, and that's probably true for most of the helpers..
I suggest updating the driver on your network card. I have 2 PC's one cants get past 400Mbps other is maxing at 940Mbps. Some older PC's just cannot handle it. I also suggest the Virgin Media Brentford server on speedtest.net
One of the issues I see is the default Gigabit Ethernet has a potential frame throughput of 81000 per second and therefore a high throughput for actual data (about 118 MB/s), giving efficiency of 94%, or 940Mbps.
I dont work for VirginMedia all opinions are my own. 39 years in IT.
I've got the same issue noticed the fault is possibly down to virgin not supporting powerline adaptors. I've tried their netgear power line adaptor and tp link powerline I still get the same issue. Issue appears around powerline adaptors and the new VM hub3.