cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems after upgrade

elle__tay
Joining in

We upgraded from M100 to 350 fibre on the 23rd Dec, and it finally took effect on new year's eve. Ever since the 23rd, Internet is cutting out, TV shows being streamed are buffering, and online gaming is impossible. Speed tests on multiple devices show anywhere from 60-220 download and 12-40 upload. Download hasn't been even close to hitting what we should get on the new package.

When I use discord and try to play a game on my pc, I instantly lose connection to the servers and discord ping shoots up to 5000. It completely drains the WiFi for the whole house too. 

For reference, we were sent a new WiFi pod that is in my room, cabled into my gaming pc. 

Ive rang multiple times over the last few days and had absolutely no help. Been promised and guaranteed that it will work after I reset the router 3 times today. Still nothing. 

We have a technician booked now for the 7th Jan, but between now and then, what can I do to be able to at least use discord?

There is, in my mind at least, no logical reason we should be getting 200 download but at the same time, unable to connect to anything. 

5 REPLIES 5

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Try a pinhole reset done as below and also check for known issues on 0800 561 0061

Also, you didnt say, are the issues only evident on wifi connections or do you see them at the same times on devices connected on ethernet cables? If you don't know, can you check to help diagnose whether it is just a wifi issue or it could be network connection related?

What are the various Hub lights showing/doing when this happens?

Note that a pinhole reset on a Hub3/4 can be a bit problematic - so do it (again) EXACTLY this way (not as the VM website says!).
Firstly, make sure the Hub's sticker/card with the two passwords on it is still there and legible If not – DON’T DO IT !
With the Hub switched "on", disconnect any ethernet connections (leave the co-ax connected) and then push in the “reset pin” with the end of a paperclip/thin nail/SIM tray “tool” or similar (bigger items like ball point pen ends may not press it in far enough) until you feel it at the “stop point” and hold it there firmly for a "timed" minimum of 60 seconds do NOT manually restart the Hub at any time. Leave it 10' or so to stabilise and then your passwords/passphrase for both the Hub settings and the Wifi networks will revert to the two printed on the Hub sticker on its base/side/card. Make sure you use the wifi one for devices connecting to the wifi and the settings/admin one to access the Hub

See if that sorts it - report back

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Lee_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi elle__tay.  Thanks for posting and welcome to our community

Sorry to hear your connection is frequently dropping.  Has a change of hub came with this upgrade?

Regards

Lee_R

Hi, thank you for your reply. 

I will definitely try this, however, our services have been down in the area for 2 days now and the estimated fix time keeps moving! Once we're back up and running, I'll give this a try.

Also, the problems are on both wireless and cabled connections. The hub lights are normal.

The whole thing is very strange. We were supposed to have a technician coming tomorrow, but I fear I will have to cancel this due to the area outage as I doubt there'll be much they can do at this time.

Thank you

Hi, thank you for your reply. 

No, we have kept the same hub. The only new thing we were sent was a WiFi pod. 

Thanks

Hi Elle, thank you for getting back to us. 

From your initial posts i can see that your technicians appointment should have now taken place - how did it go?

Have your issues been resolved?

Let us know if you are still having issues and we will do our best to support you. 
All the best. 

Molly