cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paying for 500mbps but getting 200mbps

Danosaur
On our wavelength

Hi,

I have been having good broadband quality from you recently so I haven't had any need to resolve any problems. Which is good.

However, for some reason I ran a speed test the other day and found I was only getting speeds of 200Mbps. I have been upgraded to 500Mbps for about a year apparently with Volt M500.

I have checked every day since and switched off the modem and restarted it and I still getting 200Mbps.

Is there a reason I have not been getting what I'm paying for?

20 REPLIES 20

That is perfect for M500.

Connect your PC direct to your ASUS Router by network cable, boot the PC into Safe Mode + Networking 

With a minimum software complement, re-run the speed tests such as :

http://cloudtalk.speedtestcustom.com/

If the speed jumps up it is time to take a look at the PC software / antivirus / software firewall et all to see what is bogging it down.

Danosaur
On our wavelength

Disable QoS/BWM on your router

---------------------------------------------------------------

This was already disabled. I have QOS set to prefer video streaming though.

Danosaur
On our wavelength
I have 3x hard wired PC's (Gigabit LAN working) and 2x 802.11n laptops and they all show the same speed. Most of these have hardly anything installed.
So it cannot be PC perforance.
If I do alter the HUB3 back to router and test it then through is it likely to be different.? Because at the moment it does appear throttled.

@Danosaur wrote:
I have 3x hard wired PC's (Gigabit LAN working) and 2x 802.11n laptops and they all show the same speed. Most of these have hardly anything installed.
So it cannot be PC perforance.
If I do alter the HUB3 back to router and test it then through is it likely to be different.? Because at the moment it does appear throttled.

Putting the HUB back into router mode and testing using the site I linked to earlier will confirm if it's an issue with your line, or your hardware.

VM do not throttle.

Yes. Start at the very beginning, it is a very .... !

Hub 3 into Router mode and see that a PC does without the ASUS.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@Danosaur wrote:

This was already disabled. I have QOS set to prefer video streaming though.

so not completely disabled? 

Danosaur
On our wavelength
I am going to eliminate the router tomorrow by putting the Hub into router mode.
It's possible the router could be the bottleneck. You seem to have some experience with QOS on these routers. Is there a problem with them?

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

The problem with QoS is that there is hardware NAT but the QoS runs the NAT software which can be slow and mainly on home routers.

I agree with domestic kit turn the QOS off, it will make the internet speed better for everything.

Danosaur
On our wavelength

Thanks you all for your help here. 

Instead of isolating router I tried turning off all those features on the router. QOS, AI and anything like that that was enabled. 

Seems to have done the trick. So router was the issue. 

Thank you for your help and expertise