cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Out of curiosity, how stable is Virgin's internet & its speed consistency, really?

SorimBela
Joining in

For context, we got a letter in the door saying my street will be getting Virgin broadband soon, but my only experience thus far by proxy is that your speeds slow to a crawl during the day and return to normal in the late evening.

Now: The thing is--my BT internet is extremely stable, I never have dropouts, but given where I live, I can only receive 36Mbps download and 8 upload with no option to upgrade. So, you can imagine why my curiosity is piqued, we're pretty much in need of an upgrade in speed, but what I've heard, you don't often get the speeds you're paying for.

However, I am very much aware that quite often the complaints regarding companies are a vocal minority, but at the same time, I don't know if I should consider giving up my extremely consistent, yet below desirable speeds with BT.

So, my question is, from an unbiased mind, how consistent is Virgin's connection with its speeds and overall stability with its uptime?

2 REPLIES 2

dannylau
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It does depend on the area, but virgin now have a policy of not selling to oversubscribed areas, so if they are cabling your street the area should be fine, my download/upload is consistent and hits the max when ever I test it, and you do get a 14 cooling off period where you can cancel if it does not meet your expectations

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

The policy of not selling in areas already at capacity certainly exists, but to judge by the complaints seen here isn't fully enforced, but more importantly only comes into effect only AFTER problems arise, by which time it's too late.  Having said that, if it's a new build out area, then you should be fine because the network will be new design for current data use expectations, rather than the older areas that are sometimes constrained by decisions taken years ago.  And in a new build area, you'll probably be getting VM's FTTP/DOCSIS build out, and that should offer better reliability than the older coax-only networks.  As a 25+ year cable customer, speeds for me have always been very consistent at all times of day.  There certainly are a few customers suffering congestion problems, and VM's response is often very poor but I very much doubt you'll encounter that. 

The company's Achilles heel remains it's very poor customer service.  If the service works reliably as mine does you would only ever need to speak to VM every 18 months to sort out a new contract (even that's an unpleasant trial).  If you have a problem, then mostly they can be fixed without too many problems, but sometimes problems drag on and on and on with the company insisting there's nothing wrong, and the offshore first line telephone support sets world class standards of awfulness.  The staff who patrol this forum can provide a good, civilised, UK based response for many technical problems, and whilst its a touch slower, using the forum is a far better way of engaging with the company.

A few other thoughts - the wifi from VM's hubs is poor, considerably behind the performance of BT's hubs.  Budget around £100 to buy your own mesh wifi or router.  And finally, there can be a lllloooonnnggg gap between the promise of VM service and actual connection, and when I say long that means many months, very occasionally years, and in a tiny number of cases never.