Menu
kkorkky
Dialled in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

One for a Moderator

This one is really for the Moderators.

Whilst I have adequate download bandwidth the Upload link varies in the extreme. I have a 100/10 Mb provision. Normally its around 107Mb download but there is no normal stable upload speed. VM give an SLA only on the download speed. Which I believe is more than 3 consecutive days where the speed drops below 50% of the provisioned speed this is a breach of their SLA.

Spookily VM do not give any other SLA that I know about for residential customers provision.. Its my opinion that this SLA is greatly in the favour of VM. The Upload speeds (Backhaul circuits) do not perform in the same way, There is no steady speed, yes overnight it peaks up to 10Mb but during the day it follows a Sign Wave pattern depending upon the traffic.

It is normal for me to only have 2Mb at various times during the day. So during normal periods during the day its hard for the household devices to keep pace with the downloads. I.e send acknowledgements back to the cloud. This is manifested by quality issues on video conference calls.

I have reported it several times but now I have given up. Last time I was bluntly told we don’t guarantee the upload speed. However without a reliable upload capability I could have a gigabit download but would still have quality issues.

My first complaint was closed without my permission. A VM engineer confirmed there was a capacity issue with the local Cabinet on the circuit back to VM. They would report it. Its now months later still no improvements. My Second complaint has not been acknowledged ( This is in breach of VM SLA for response). Its tortious trying to engage with the Support dept.

I have Sam Knows graphs. My router does automatic speed checks and records through put. (Yes this will contribute to congestion but they don’t last very long)

All I wish for is 100mb download and 10 Mb upload.

I just wish to have a reasonable conversation about what can be done to improve the overall  Internet experience.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: One for a Moderator

There is no "SLA" on a residential package (just contract T&C's) - are you on the Business package that does have one ?

VM staff do respond on here but that can take a week or so. This is a community help forum and you can get help and advice on your issues here if you want to co-operate.

If you have been told its a "capacity issue" (oh dear!) than can be best viewed and recorded as evidence in discussions with VM - on a BQM - do this... set up a free and secure “Broadband Quality Monitor” to continually monitor the state of your connection and record any true network dropouts , latency issues, packet drops, etc - it will thus allow you to differentiate between those and simple wifi dropouts. It does it 24/7/365 and it keeps a visual record of any/all of your network disconnections, useful data to have to match to the Network logs (in your Hub settings) and also in discussions with VM - note it will take a few hours to start seeing a sensible picture - post up the “link” to the “share live graph” (as per instructions on the TB website) when it starts to develop.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

If you dont want to do that, call it in on 150 (VM Phone) or 0345 454 1111 (any other phone). Calling at 08.00 midweek (09.00 Sun) is the best time to get through quickly. Although some people are still reporting getting through fine at other times with no long waits

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
kkorkky
Dialled in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi John

Thanks for your help.

I have several months of graphs that I can Produce. If I remember correctly BQM does not really hilight any Upstream issue to the standard I can monitor myself via SamKnows. SamKnows is an system VM use on their Hub4's to monitor cutomer bandwidth.

In the Read This Now before you post a question. there is a section that says if no one can assist you then  VM will endeavour to. This is why I have posted.

I firmly believe that Customer Satisfaction, is still alive . I have tried all normal avenues of Customer support and they  have not resolved the issue. I realise that many customers do have congestion issues , however at the moment I have one Zoom call in progress and can not use  any online streaming media.

Last time I checked the upstream bandwith  It was less than 2Mb. The zoom session  and other normal IP traffic in use does not allow Netflix , Amazon Prime or Sky content to stream.  If I wait till 22:00 yes it will start to work again.

As I said I still believe customer support and Customer satisfaction are not just a thing of the past and I do have the patience to await VM assistance

KK

0 Kudos
kkorkky
Dialled in
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

0 Kudos
kkorkky
Dialled in
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

The BQM is of more interest - from a capacity point of view. Post up an example of a recent 24h working day BQM - and/or the link to "share live graph". If you are in an OU area it will be evident and your uploads will be affected.

If that is the case then its not a good place to be. See andruser's comments on the issue in message 4 of this thread...

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Jitter-and-latency/m-p/4609932#M378967

Also, Post up your Hub/network connection details and someone will check to see if there is a problem there.  In your browser’s URL box type in http://192.168.0.1  (or http://192.168.100.1 - if in modem mode) and hit return. On the first page up [there should be no need to login if you have done so before unless you have the New Hub4 when you do] click on the “router status” icon/text at bottom-middle of first page up and then copy/paste as “Formatted Text” (not images) 3 FULL sets of data onto here – 2 pages from the Downstream, 2 from the Upstream, & the Network Logs page. Don't worry too much about the formatting it can be easily read & DON’T include personal data or MAC addresses - blank them out - if you copy/paste the data, the board software will do this for you (you may need to click the "submit" button again.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Ashleigh_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi @kkorkky

Thank you so much for your post and I am so sorry to hear you have been facing these issues. 

I have had a look at your account and I can see that there is unfortunately an outage recorded in your area, the estimated fix time for this is 30/03/2021. I'm sorry to report this but it could explain some of the issues you are having with your upload speeds. I understand you have been experiencing this for a while and I would love to perform a full diagnosis for you once the outage is fixed.

You can view updates and information on outages in your area here at our service status page, or you can call on 0800 561 0061. 

Ash_C
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
kkorkky
Dialled in
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Ash,

This username is not aligned to any  VM account. I use this username when helping others. I have checked my status from within my correct credentials and there is no service outage noted. It would also have to be a prolonged service outage of several months. I am happy to give my account details privately.

Regards

kk

0 Kudos
Ashleigh_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi @kkorkky

I'm so sorry for any confusion, I was able to locate your account via the details you used to sign up to our forums, this information is only available to staff and is only for the use of diagnosing faults or possible outages in accounts.

Therefore the information provided is specific to your account and your area. 

Ash_C
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
kkorkky
Dialled in
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Evening Ash

OK so you used my external IP address......Its not  as private as you infer.

So when I loginto my account I see no scheule of work nor any current  outages. My issue has persisted for months. I can evidence these issues if it is required.

However I would rather have a reliable internet provision.

Like many of your customers I am in the dark,  You have  referred  to remedial work that I have knowledge of, nor can I gain this knowledge through the channels you have referred me to.

Regards

KK

0 Kudos