cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Noise in Upload frequency E10

MichaelLucas
On our wavelength

We have had a major issue with the upload speed for more than 12 weeks now and we have reported it over and over to Virgin Media and in week 4 they originally admitted the problem saying that "it is a difficult problem in the area and is expected to be resolved by 23rd of May". We never got an update after that, and when we kept reporting the problem they instead wanted to switch our Hub to a Hub 4 and wanted us to "monitor the problem". We did, and week 8 we reported our monitoring and we finally got a technician sent out.

When the technician arrived he started by plugging in his equipment straight into the wall and said that he saw the exact same numbers that I had logged. The upload speed fluctuated between nothing and a third of what was expected (we should have 36MB). We were lucky that the issue was apparent when he arrived, because it only happens for a couple of hours a couple of times a day. So he could've easily missed it.

He immediately says that it's due to noise in the upload frequency and calls in to the callcentre to raise a ticket, but the operator refuses. He asks to speak to her senior who also refuses. Apparently upload speed is not important enough to fix.

Problem is this: I am a streamer and I literally make my living off of the upload speed and have now been affected for 3 months! I am at a complete loss

57 REPLIES 57

Anonymous
Not applicable

Rarely has VM left me godsmacked but the raw cynicism here is something else. VM only guarantee download speed (I assume you have M350). Upload has an expected speed range but not a guaranteed one. https://www.virginmedia.com/legal/speed-policy

Raise a formal written complaint via the VM website citing the expected speed range of 36/37 mbs https://www.virginmedia.com/broadband/speeds and the other issues that you are experiencing.

Set up a BQM by visiting https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality and share the sharable (no IP) address here.

The VM forum team might be able to help monitor the complaint you raise.

As it is your business you may wish to consider more resilient SLAs via Virgin Business broadband or EE. 

Yeah I've seen that the guarantee doesn't exist for Upload. Which is so odd - I literally upgraded with VM just for the upload, couldn't care less about higher download speeds.

I've set up a BQM today, so at least I have that running now. Thanks!

Seems like there are no other options for this area. This is almost the only provider we can get, which is sad.

MichaelLucas
On our wavelength

Data.png
Am I understanding this monitoring correctly... the data packets are both upload and download? This graph doesn't look so bad, but since I have 500down/36up and only the Upload frequency is affected, that is the entirety of the upload frequency gone due to the noise! 

This happens whenever btw. It can be a Wednesday as well as Sunday, midnight just as midday, when no one else is home, when everyone is home, sunny days, stormy days. I have found no pattern whatsoever in how and when this happens.

Good Morning @MichaelLucas, and a very warm welcome to our Community Forums.

I'd be happy to take a closer look into this for you, check out the purple envelope in the top right hand corner for a private message from me.

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

Thank you very much for reaching out, David!

Have responded via DMs!

We've had a good month, but the past week the issues with noise in the upload frequency has started again.

It is only the upload that is affected, not the download, but sadly I am very dependent on the upload as I work as a streamer.

Can you please look into this for us again?Monday.png

Monday.png

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
BQM images are rejected as they contain your ip address.

Either blank it out - or use the "Share" links under the image

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Ah thank you! I had no idea!

Monday.png