Menu
B0S3Glass
On our wavelength
Message 31 of 39
Flag for a moderator

Re: No Ranging Response / Packet loss and Upload speed drop

I've also been told on numerous occasions that its a fault in the area but the mystery fault never appears to be listed on the website. Also all dates for these "faults" to be resolved have long since passed (over a month ago) and the issue still persists. 

david656
On our wavelength
Message 32 of 39
Flag for a moderator

I've been at this for almost a year. they just are not interested in helping you. it's all smoke and mirrors.

0 Kudos
flyinglion
Tuning in
Message 33 of 39
Flag for a moderator

When speaking to the agent yesterday, seemed like she had no other options left nor gave a damn.

Well, no option but to cancel that direct debit now and change to another provider. Banana republic service.   

0 Kudos
B0S3Glass
On our wavelength
Message 34 of 39
Flag for a moderator

Don't even get responses on the forum anymore 

Out of curiosity, do you use modem mode or is the router in normal mode? (and what model)

0 Kudos
B0S3Glass
On our wavelength
Message 35 of 39
Flag for a moderator

This is honestly ridiculous now

B0S3Glass_0-1611837698821.png

0 Kudos
B0S3Glass
On our wavelength
Message 36 of 39
Flag for a moderator

After some testing and multiple factory resets, the majority of the issue appears to be the hub

B0S3Glass_0-1612099426692.png

Ran for 24 hours in router mode and didn't experience packet loss, as soon as it is put in modem mode, back to continuous drops and outages. 

At a guess something is borked in this modem as it ran before in modem mode with no issues (and nothing has changed behind the virgin media modem, still the same pfsense box)

What is the process for getting a replacement modem?

I would be happy to run it in router mode with Wi-Fi disabled if the DMZ actually worked. I can't get any IPSEC tunnels to connect when its not in modem mode, even with the pfsense router sat in the DMZ and the firewall on the hub completely disabled. More of an FYI for anyone else experiencing this issue

0 Kudos
B0S3Glass
On our wavelength
Message 37 of 39
Flag for a moderator

After spending the day researching, it seems a fix for the issue between Virgin Super Hub 3 in modem mode and a pfsense router behind it is to upgrade to the beta of pfsense 2.5. I'm not entirely convinced this is the solution however so far the think broadband monitor looks much better compared to the previous few hours of the super hub running in modem mode. If anyone knows the technical incompatibility that gets fixed by this i'd be interested to know.

B0S3Glass_0-1612124040310.png

Still issues with no ranging response in the super hub network log so I think there is still an issue with the line but its definitely still more stable than before.

0 Kudos
B0S3Glass
On our wavelength
Message 38 of 39
Flag for a moderator

Okay spoke to soon.. after a few hours its back to the original drop outs in modem mode. Seemed it started after the ipsec tunnel was used (not able to definitely test it but the drop out started after data was transferred across it). Back to using router mode until I can get an engineer visit...

0 Kudos
B0S3Glass
On our wavelength
Message 39 of 39
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

After having an engineer out who replaced everything possible including the hub (with another hub 3), the issue is still present in modem mode. 

Having narrowed this down further it seems to be the issue with the chipset in the hub 3 that can't handle the traffic (as many other people have commented) regarding the hubs ability to handle UDP and ESP frames (which would explain why the IPSec tunnels exaggerate the issue. For anyone else having this issue :

The 'fix' is a trade-off as the CPU just doesn't have the punch so they've prioritised TCP which covers a large percentage of customer usage, give it an amount of UDP/ESP/etc outside of practically nothing and you'll see a pathological condition where the hub can't shift the frames from ethernet to DOCSIS that results in the latency and packet loss people experience. Even in modem mode the hub is tracking states due to how its bridging the interfaces to allow the downstream device (router/PC/whatever) to pull a public IP.

Looks like my only fix is to try a different hub, am going to contact Virgin again and try to get a hub 4 but may also buy a hub 2 off ebay and try that. 

0 Kudos