cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New install and 1 Gb running slow slow slow

ewhitey
Superfast

I have a PC with Gigabit connection connected directly to the Hub4 via a Cat 5e Gigabit cable - Distance about 4 to 5 metres.Connected to my hub presently and for all testing are my pc and my iphone 8. I previously had an M600 package with almost identical issues then whilst transiting to the 1Gb package, moved to M200 for about a week and that work flawlessly from start to finish!!! 

I had 1Gb installed last week and haven't got anything greater than 943Mbps but overall average is around 4-500Mbps?

I have used countless speedtests and are generally in unison that my connection is slow - Realspeed Samknows shows anything from 350 to 980 but usually is in the 400's.My upload speeds are averaging around 50, latency around 15 and packet loss always less than 1.0 (last check was -0.121.

Regards wifi, my phone on last check using Samknows was 397 to hub and 319 to phone - Ookla test was 479 up and 49.5 down. Overall any test on my phone will show anything from 69Mbps to 500Mbps sitting right next to the router?

I'm confused as to why a) I'm not getting a decent speed e.g. always over say 850 and b. Why my readings are so widely variable?

Last speed test run/ethernet:
nperf.com: down 246 up 51.63
Fast.com: down 290 up 50
Samknows: down 390 down 293
Thinkbroadband: down 215 up 39.7
Ookla Website: down 351 up 52.84
Ookla Windows app: down 676 up 52.80

iPhone 8 Wifi: Ookla app: down 358 up 43.5    Realspeed Samknows: down 397 down 319

98 REPLIES 98

Hi @Scc28

Thanks for posting on our community forum!

Please be sure to keep us updated on how this goes.

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi @Scc28

That's great and good luck - I can't even get them to return my calls never mind get an engineer?!!! I asked for the results of the last 30 day monitor an was advised by email that the signal was fine (it wasn't) so I requested the results on the phone - Told they're fine - I then requested the actual results and was told sorry no-one can provide those details. I made a complaint and about 3 days later received an email saying my complaint was successfully closed - Really?...I then found £35 credit in my account...!!!!    

@lotharmat wrote:
I'm wondering if the spread of power (d/s) of 2.2 - 6.6 dBmV is causing a problem!

Could be!

A power attenuator could be a easy fix.

ewhitey have you set up a BQM yet?

It may help to illuminate the problem.

You could also try this as a temporary measure...

1. Turn off Smart WIFI

2. Turn off 2.4g WIFI

3. Make sure 5G WIFI channel width is set to 20/40/80.

Retest at close range and pray.

My issue's nothing to with wifi as covered in my posts but regards an "attenuator" what's that - Is something missing from my line?

Can someone look at my stats as I was requested to post these from another thread but had no definitive feedback? 

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

If the Hub 4 is in modem mode the forum staff won't be able to do a remote check on status, so it may need reverting back to router mode.  If you get an "all looks good from our side" response you may need to be very persistent to get such an intermittent fault fixed.

The problem may be the range of power levels as already suggested, could also be an RF noise ingress issue, which would show up as post-RS errors on selected downstream channels.  A post-RS error is an error that cannot be corrected by the hub's built in Reed Solomon error correction routines, and uncorrectable errors, even at low numbers are damaging for speeds because the data has to be re-requested.  Pre-RS errors are those that have been corrected, these have negligible impact unless the numbers are very high.  Unfortunately the dreadful firmware of the Hub 4 has a bug and doesn't reliably show pre or post RS error counts, so I can't comment other than to observe that the current showing of two columns of zero errors is not feasible - DOCSIS is an error prone technology, even when working properly there will be at least some pre-RS errors.  I also note that there's "uncorrectables" (post-RS errors) on the D3.1 channel - that's an indication of a probable noise problem as well.

Hello ewhitey

Thanks for your post 

Apologies that you are having a few issues with the service 

I can see that the Hub is in modem mode which makes it a bit tricky to check from here 

Could you please pop it back onto wifi and let us know once it has been done 

Gareth_L

And to Andrew above...

Very much appreciated 

ewhitey_0-1631363182976.png

I've now noticed a few short drop outs on my internet, several times on wifi and weirdly, a few times with the sound on both my 360 boxes...I've never really had any issues previously other than slow internet - I'll return the hub to router mode and let you know.

With Hub4 in router mode, can I keep my wired/wifi devices attached as I normally would and do you need me to repost any numbers when it's done? Many thanks again for your help

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

If you need to run the hub in router mode, then as a short term measure the easy way is to flick your own router into access point mode (sometimes called bridge mode), put the hub in router mode, and (subject to any necessary restarts) all your devices should connect as before without needing to connect to the VM wifi or change any ethernet cabling. 

Longer term that's not a good idea because you're then exposed to any "enhancements" that VM make to the hub's wifi, as well as using the hub's built in pound shop router which is very unlikely to be of the standard of any decent commercial product.

Again thanks.

Hub4 now in router mode...If anything else is required please let me know. I'll give things a go for a few days and continue my BQM. In case it's important - my two TV boxes and the Hub were connected up to my original VM cabling. The new cabling that came with the boxes etc wasn't used by the engineer. So currently I have the cable into house - This connects to a small matchbox size metal silver splitter - one cable to 360 box and one through to back room. the cable then goes to another metal splitter (same as other) with one cable to Hub4 and other to the Mini box. 

Presently, I have my Asus router in AP mode using wifi and ethernet connection for my devices. My PC is direct to Hub4 as that's where my speed tests come from. My last RealSam results where 929/299...396/303...780/245...399/273. For some reason I can't connect now and getting the "Something went wrong" message - This is the same on my Iphone via wifi. UPDATE: Realsam now saying "Another test is running"?!

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

Have you edited your BQM settings for the changed IP address?  It alters when swapping between modem and router mode?

Hi @ewhitey,

Thank you for confirming that. I've taken a look at the line using the details you used to sign up to the forums, and I can't seem to find any faults being picked up there. Can you please confirm if these issues are ongoing for you today?

If they are, can you provide us with a link to your live BQM so we can have a closer look at things, please?

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

Hi Andrew - I've had a look and noted the IP address is different from my previous BQM - I started a new one yesterday because the previous was red as the Hub4 was in modem...The new one appears to be recording fine. It mentions though that I'm not IPV6 - Is that important? 

To Zach - Many thanks for your help. Here's the direct link to my BQM:  

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/ee40c994c3ada009f25f7890fce935b78898c3fb

Also regards function - I've noticed that (and expected to see) that not using my Asus router my wifi has dropped significantly but I'm not to fussed with that as it's an easy fix in the longer term e.g. my phone was getting over 480Mbps then dropped to around 120 most of yesterday. Today last checks shows it's up a little and my daughters not complaining so some improvement lol. Importantly otherwise, the speeds are the same - Variable high and low on the speed tests. I'm only using RealsamKnows so today we've had 401/311...836/283...929/309...389/317...and latency from 14 to 30ms - Latency previously was generally around 14. Also noted is that my daughters ping on PS4 Fornite - generally stable around 12 is now as high as 27ms. For reference my Asus router is in AP mode and only my PC has a direct connection to the Hub4 in router mode   Anything else please let me know and thanks again 😉