Menu
grantburgh
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

New customer - Fast Wifi but slow Wired?!

Hi all,

So today is installation day for me. I have just got my 350mb package with the Hub 3.0 installed.

If I do a speed test using my iPhone I am getting fast speeds of 300+ and it varies depending on where I go in the house. That all seems OKish.

However plugging in a laptop to an ethernet port on the Hub 3.0, or plugging in a Playstation 4, I am getting downloads of around 30mbps.

What on earth is going on here if anything I assumed a wired connection would be far more reliable than wifi. I wonder if this is due to me being on day 1 of the service, however that doesnt explain the lightning quick Wifi speed.

Cheers in advance

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: New customer - Fast Wifi but slow Wired?!

What speeds do you get at >> speedtest.net << with a direct connection using a Cat 5E or better ethernet cable between the Hub in Router Mode and a 1Gbs capable Pc/Mac/Chromebook and no other devices connected ?

then ... 

Can you Login to the Hub Settings and navigate to the Connected Devices page - what is the reported 'connection speed’ for the ethernet cable connected device you used for the speed test ?

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
grantburgh
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi there,

Appreciate the quick response. I believe I've diagnosed the issue... I was plugging the PS4 into an ethernet connection via power line adapter. If I plug straight into the router my speed is now showing 240mbps!

So issue is the power line adapters - HOWEVER I am using the exact same power line kit that I used with my BT fibre internet which was giving me much faster speeds that 30mbps... Is there any reason they would be slower with Virgin that BT?

Thanks again

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

There is no reason why the speeds should be different. 

BUT

Powerline Adaptors are renowned for inconsistency.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
grantburgh
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Ok thank you!

Last question if you have time to answer:

I am in a new build house (6 months old), and all the bedrooms have a co-axial wall socket in them which terminate in my downstairs cupboard next to the virgin router. Is it possible to use these co-axial cables to send wired internet from the router to my bedrooms using some kind of co-axial to ethernet adapter?

Cheers

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Yes, it can be done, you would need 2x Ethernet to co-ax adaptors.

There are plenty available on the internet. It may be worthwhile getting a couple of cheap ones just to test the circuits then go for better / faster ones once you are happy that everything works OK.

0 Kudos