Menu
-tony-
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 11 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Re: New Ultimate Oomph M500 customer, 240mb speeds

nothing stands out - cannot comment on log but rest looks ok

left with try it on another wired pc/laptop and different speed test sites not all are equal - thats one i use - http://proof.ovh.net

other than that wait for VM - maybe theres a problem in the area

Tony
Emma_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 12 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Hi Adamcorki, 

Really sorry you're not getting the most from your speeds, this isn't good. 

I've had a look at the back end of things from here and I can see a few errors but the hub has also been up quite some time. 

Can you reboot the hub, make sure it is in the up right position in an open space and let me know so I can run some further checks? 

Emma_C - Forum Team
0 Kudos
adamcorki
Tuning in
Message 13 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Hi Emma,

Have done as requested, please let me know the outcome.

0 Kudos
adamcorki
Tuning in
Message 14 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Speed never gets above 110mb now, unless I restart router when I get up to 200mb. This is terrible service, I'm still within my cancellation period Virgin, do you care?

0 Kudos
John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 15 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Hi adamcorki

Thanks for coming back to us.

How are you testing please, wired/wireless?

I've checked the levels and everything looks in spec. The only suggestion it's giving me is that you have a few devices too close to the WiFi and could perform better via Ethernet

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

0 Kudos
adamcorki
Tuning in
Message 16 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Hi John

Tested on both. But on WiFi, after Emma messaged the other week, magically the speed went fully up to (and sometimes over) 500mb, from various test sites, but for about a week now it's been unable to get above 110mb, almost like a cap has been put on it. 

Adam

0 Kudos
John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 17 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for coming back to me, Adam. I can assure you there's no speed cap as we don't throttle speeds. 

Can you do a wired test for me using speedtest.net on a PC or laptop should you own one? Only have that device connected to the net and we'll go from there

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

0 Kudos
adamcorki
Tuning in
Message 18 of 21
Flag for a moderator

It reached 80mb down, 37mb up. 

0 Kudos
John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 19 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for coming back to me. 

Just running a fault diagnostic now. Can I ask, what device was this tested on?

If PC/Laptop, can you try a different browser, also could you try it in safe mode and or modem mode if able too?

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

0 Kudos
adamcorki
Tuning in
Message 20 of 21
Flag for a moderator

I've (half) identified the problem, turning off 2.4G. That was giving all wifi devices 110mb max, 5G gives the full 500mb. The laptop on ethernet, with safe mode, still gives 80mb max, but it is old and I assume just not reading well ( it doesn't even have 5G wifi). I now just need to get all my devices to only use 5G somehow, I still need the 2.4G turned on for the laptop.

But god knows why your router does this, how many other people would run into the same problem, and god help anyone who isn't tech savvy. They probably don't even test their speeds and are paying for 500mb and getting 110mb. I think VM expect you're rather savvy and know how to go into modem settings, or stupid and don't even know what internet speed is. 

0 Kudos