cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Hub 4 on Gig1 but now only getting 400-500mbps - Wrong config file?

pdampier
On our wavelength

We had a Hub 4 and now have a new one (new account) but speed is only 400-500mbps...

Checking config file on Hub 4 I see this:

cmreg-vmdg640-bbt076+voc-b.cm

So if I'm on the Gig1 speeds (Ultimate Volt Package) that doesn't look like the right config file?

I'm connected via wired gigabit ethernet and last week (with prior Hub 4) was getting 900-1,000mbps as measured by both fast.com and speedtest.net...

7 REPLIES 7

Richw1982
Rising star

What is your maximum Traffic Rate in Primary Downstream Service Flow section?  Should be something like 1200000450

Try testing your connection using RealSpeed - SamKnows

I work for VMO2 but all opinions are my own and are based on my own experiences

Here is the full output:

General Configuration

Network access
true
Maximum Number of CPEs
Baseline Privacy
true
DOCSIS Mode
Config file
cmreg-vmdg640-bbt076+voc-b.cm

Primary Downstream Service Flow

SFID
Max Traffic Rate
Max Traffic Burst
Min Traffic Rate

Primary Upstream Service Flow

SFID
Max Traffic Rate
Max Traffic Burst
Min Traffic Rate
Max Concatenated Burst
Scheduling Type
bestEffort

pdampier
On our wavelength

Also Samknows link reports:

Make sure you’re on the same WiFi network as your Virgin Media Hub. The Virgin Media Hub must be on router mode.
You’ll also need to temporarily disable VPNs if you have one.

I am on a wired connection. Not wifi but SamKnows won't run the speedtest. Perhaps since Hub is in modem mode? Per above with the prior Hub 4 (on my old account) I got GigE speeds over this same wired network. 

The next step would be to pinhole reset and check in router mode.  My hub is in Modem mode and runs through a Deco Mesh system and I get a solid 600 throughout the house.  Its not 1Gig but its the mesh system slowing it slightly

I work for VMO2 but all opinions are my own and are based on my own experiences

problem is on router mode I can't plug my network into the hub 4 to get the upstairs pc on to the gig wired network to the hub 4 right? Only 4 devices can plug directly into the hub when it's in router mode. if I switch it to router mode I can hook up my laptops to if but their wired Ethernet ports are 100mbps not gig so if doesn't help. 

last time when I received the original hub 4 it was about 2 or 3 days before it received the right config file. 

pdampier
On our wavelength

Root caused this one so it case it helps anyone else. My PC (Windows 11) has "Killer E2400" wired ethernet. Now this WAS working at 1 Gig speeds for the last 6+ months. However it seems some driver update caused an issue. After I fully uninstalled the driver via device manager AND uninstalled the Killer software package (I wasn't using any of its features) speeds are now back to 1 Gig (900+Mbps).

Glad to hear that this has been resolved for you @pdampier. Thank you very much for letting us know the cause of the slow speeds and what you did to rectify this. Please let us know if you have any further issues or questions, we'll be happy to help here in the community forums! 

All the best, 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley