Menu
Highlighted
Well-informed
Message 31 of 44
Flag for a moderator

Re: Manchester 1gig

@dreamRJ

Dam right that man! - no one ever questions why people want or need the latest Iphone or Latest 69 plate car - they get it because they want it and they can - that's the bottom line. People are just too dam nosy these days. 

Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 32 of 44
Flag for a moderator

I concur.

I just wanted to give an update. I spoke to the CEO team on the phone regarding the 1gig speeds. Turns out that yes although the Maintenance work was for the 1 gig speeds. That work still has not been completed for my postcode. While I was on the phone to them they put me on hold and got some information and a list of the postcodes in my local area that got the work completed. As she read the postcodes starting with my first 2 digits, they basically skipped mine entirely.

So basically it means for what ever reason my area is still not able to get the 1gig speeds. It is soo damn frustrating to be honest with ya.

I am willing and ready to pay for the 1gig speeds and yet they will not get the work done in my area so I can get it? Please @VirginMedia get my area upgraded so I can get the speeds. I am in the Manchester area. SO PLEASE get your fingers out..................
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 33 of 44
Flag for a moderator

I been checking website still saying 500 I can get I'm in OL7 which is Ashton 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 34 of 44
Flag for a moderator

I got the "maintenance" letter in the post a couple of weeks ago advising me it'll take place yesterday, my broadband was off for approx. 30 mins around 8AM, i'm in the M43 postcode and the online checker is still saying the max I can get is the 500.

If the "maintenance" was for the 1GB then I expect it won't be available to order for a few weeks?

Highlighted
Community elder
Message 35 of 44
Flag for a moderator

@AliasNeo wrote:

I got the "maintenance" letter in the post a couple of weeks ago advising me it'll take place yesterday, my broadband was off for approx. 30 mins around 8AM, i'm in the M43 postcode and the online checker is still saying the max I can get is the 500.

If the "maintenance" was for the 1GB then I expect it won't be available to order for a few weeks?

You would be correct. Preparation work, not the actual enabling of the service - that can be done without interruption to regular service.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 36 of 44
Flag for a moderator

Dear VM: 

PLEASE can you stop with this Gigabit Cities testicles? Loads of different hub sites serve the 'Manchester area' - it's a huge metropolitan area - Oldham and Ashton being two of them - and not all of them were enabled for Gig1.

Can we not just have lists of where and when by hub site as we used to have before some marketing people decided it was either not cool enough or people were too stupid to be able to understand that not everyone in an area automatically connects to the exact same piece of kit?

Timescales now would save tons of trouble later and the competition don't really care which cities you enable when, they are quite aware that you can enable cities more rapidly than they can build FTTP there if you're so inclined.

Literally no-one in the industry is remotely impressed by this stuff. It's barely selling anything and is going to get dumped on from a great height by City Fibre / Vodafone, various companies selling Openreach GEA directly, and various alternative networks. No-one in any way really cares that you can deliver 1.15 Gb to the new hub, they care what their own devices can achieve.

Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 37 of 44
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your post AliasNeo.

To be sure if you have access to a 1Gb connection you can ask our sales team on 0800 183 1234 as they have access to a system which updates us before it goes onto our website.

Thank you, Emily.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 38 of 44
Flag for a moderator

had another letter saying there is more maintenance on 14th Jan 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 39 of 44
Flag for a moderator

Any update on area 20 had 2 letters saying doing work one in November and one on 14th January  on website still saying I can get 500mb not 1 gig wondering if we getting the speed upgrade like rest of greater Manchester 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 40 of 44
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your post Gaz666uk.

To find this out you can query with our sales team on 0800 183 1234 as they have access to a system which updates us before going onto our website. 

Thank you, Emily.

0 Kudos