Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 31 of 36
Flag for a moderator

Re: M500 no where near the Min Guaranteed Speed more like M350

Emily,

This should be a M500 connection with min download speed of 258 Mbps.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 32 of 36
Flag for a moderator

Just an update so other people know how this turned out.

VM Engineer turned up today and checked output from from VM/Router/Modem which showed as around 512 Mbps which is fair enough.

The engineer also checked cables leading to my PC and they appeared to be ok - same cable used to check plugged in VM hardware device so known good cable.

This plugged into PC showed an Orange light on the LAN connection(RJ45 socket) on the PC.

Now my thoughts were the same as the engineer initially thought it should turn green with a Gigabit connection - so thought it was a PC hardware fault.

However after finding the documentation for the Motherboard which is a GIGABYTE GA-G41M-ES2L it turns out on this board Orange indicates the 1 Gbps data rate and Green 100 Mbps data rate.

Just in case anyone makes the same mistake check first.

image.png

So I'm happier that the connections and the output are correct I just have no idea why the output doesn't tie up with what is shown on speednet.com

Two different browsers seem to report different speeds although sometimes they are similar.

There is also a standalone speedtest app which  seems more reliable and certainly reports faster speed (currently showing)

image.png

VM engineer used https://fast.com/ to test speeds but that was still low.

I've signed up for SamKnows(https://www.samknows.com/signup) which is the site I think the VM engineer also used perhaps with the hardware device.

This may be more reliable than speedtest.net. I think they send you out a white box to monitor internet performance as part of a volunteer programme which is free for home use.

They also have an app - again free and looks quite good.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 33 of 36
Flag for a moderator

Fast.com is always low for me, right now hit 190Mb/s on it, 5mins ago downloaded 2x 5-6GB files at 550+Mb/s.

VM recommends:  https://www.speedtest.net/

Or install their Windows 10 App (also mobile Apps) but again all can read low at times.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 34 of 36
Flag for a moderator

The speednet app certainly is better for me and happy that that its showing more than the min guaranteed for M500.

Samknows look an interesting prospect and don't know if I'll get accepted for the monitoring device.

Pretty sure this must have been a samknows device the VM engineer was using to verify the speed.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 35 of 36
Flag for a moderator

A recent post showed the speedtest App gave lower speed results than testing in their website.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/Area-20-Slow-Speed/m-p/4317764#M234449

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 36 of 36
Flag for a moderator

Both site and app are hit and miss from 1 min to next for me esp of late (wonder if anything to do with my upgrade to 500,) My WIFI is really bad, only hit 550+Mb/s on 1 device but primary used my devices wired.

0 Kudos